Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I made arrows last fall and I have had problems getting broadheads to shoot straight. My field points fly straight and true but the broadheads start straight and then take off to the left no matter which way I align the head. I'm shooting a magnus classic 160 with 55-60 doug fir shafts and around 45# of draw weight. Any thoughts would be great!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hey guys. I made arrows last fall and I have had problems getting broadheads to shoot straight. My field points fly straight and true but the broadheads start straight and then take off to the left no matter which way I align the head. I'm shooting a magnus classic 160 with 55-60 doug fir shafts and around 45# of draw weight. Any thoughts would be great!
Sounds like You're over spined on the the shafts, and that's a pretty heavy head to be shooting at that poundage IMHO. Bob

·
Registered
579 Posts
A big head can be a challenge that way, but it usually can be fixed. Do they spin true on the shafts? What feathers are you shooting?

Most of my woodie setups are not all that different. I typically shoot shafts spined 10 to 15 pounds over bow weight and 160 heads. Right now I am shooting Cutthroats or VPA 3-blades, but I have shot 160 Magnus 2-blades and 150 Magnus 4-blades. Most of my setups are 50-55# @ 28.

D.P.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I dont shoot wood, but bare shaft tuning of carbon has worked well for me and no planing issues. I shoot 200gr simmon safaris, and have shot 200gr zipper kodiaks as well. Both heads are fairly large.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They spin true, but I noticed the slightest wobble in the shafts which I will need to address. I shoot 5.5" shield cut feathers. Hopefully I will be able to get the wobble out of my arrows because I love the look of the wood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts