Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm useing a swithckback 60 lbs at 29.5 inches. 360 grain arrows.. shoot 2 arrows of each kind in 3/4 inch plywood at 10 yards, heres what i got.

Wasp jackhamer 1st shoot went in about 3 inches past the head. Insert is finished due to the blades opening too wide. blades did not break off but were bent. could not take a second shoot due to the insert being finished, had to break the arrow to get the arrow out of the plywood..

Rocket sidewinder 1st shoot went more than half way but two blades broke off and the thired was bent. the 2nd shot went all the way to the vains but lost all the blades.

Rocket steelhead 1st shoot went all the way to the vains, 3 blade in tact but a little bent not much to worry about. Straitend them up and the 2nd shoot similar resultes.

Firstcut 2 blade 1st shoot went all the way to the vains with not damage. the 2nd shoot same as first. steel ring at the end had little nick due to the blade oppening back.

Spitfires 1st shoot went about 1 inch passed the head with 1 broken tip of a blade, the second shoot went a few inches more 6 in total but another blade broke off and bent.

all blade wher mechanicals. Would like to know some feedback on some other brands of heads.

the best head in this test was the (tie) firstcut and the steelhead.

see ya later.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I played a similiar game in my garage before bow season. I switched from muzzy's to montec g5's. All things being the same I shot them both into an old chest freezer in my garage. Muzzy crumpled but went through one side and stuck in the other. G5 went through both sides and had a slightly flattened nose. I mean slightly, with some tuneing on the sharpener you could use it again. Probably will catch **** for missing my shot twice on this next testimonial but oh well. I shot a buck last year with a muzzy out of a treestand, missed my mark by a few inches and caught the shoulder blade. Penetrated and killed the deer but the broadhead was practically bent in half. Fast forward to this year, same situation and shot. Dead deer and broadhead is ready to hunt again. Literally not a mark on her. I am not downing muzzy's, I have used them successfully for many years. But I wont be switching back anytime soon. Check out this link for comparison penetration tests. I think I actually originally copied it off this site.

http://www.mucc.org/Fixedblades.htm

·
Premium Member
13,424 Posts
If you haven't already read any of 5Shot's stuff in several forums (ArcherWorld, ArcheryTalk, to name two) then I'd recommend hunting him down. Perhaps doing a Google search would zero in on him closer.

'5Shot' is Chris Finch of Richmond (VA) and he has been doing extensive broadhead tests for several years. He does it as a hobby...and has, to the best of my knowledge, no affiliation with any manufacturer or publisher. He has tested dozens and dozens of heads. His methodology is to shoot into plywood as 'rodboy' here has done.......then shoots 'em into a steel barrel; and with mechanicals he shoots them into an orange to test how quickly the blades extend.

I wouldn't think of switching broadheads until and unless I had read up on 5Shot's results.

And, another source for broadhead knowledge is the poster 'Duggaboy' on the ArcheryTalk forum. I think he resides in Africa and broadheads (and sharpness) are two areas that he has staked out as his hobby.

Not trying to switch anybody out of checking out the Archery page on this M-S forum (I'm a great fan)........just lettin' you know where other pools of knowledge might be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts