Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to all you handlers/owners of dogs with tails. My buddy offered to give me his 4 month old Elhew bred female pointer, he has a 2 year old male English and he or his wife doesn't have the time to train her properly. Can anyone tell me more about the Elhew breed and how she and my 10 month old female brittany might get along and hunt together? Please, limit the jokes, this is a serious question. Thanks!!!:)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Elhew is probably the most well known of Pointer lines. They are bred quite often for the name alone but with a 4 month old pup you should be able to tell if it will make a hunting dog or not, I would guess it will. It would hunt well with your Brit. although in general Pointers move a bit quicker and range farther than a Brittany you can work that out. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Hunt more, hunt more often, then you'll need two dogs on the truck and have to run them seperately to make it thru a day.
I say go for it although I wouldn't run two young dogs together for at least two full seasons and preferably three.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I've introduced her to birds myself, from what I saw she will be a hunter. Just wondering more about the temperment and response to training. On the soft side like a brittany? The pup comes from proven Elhew lines...

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
brittany hunter said:
Thanks for the response. I've introduced her to birds myself, from what I saw she will be a hunter. Just wondering more about the temperment and response to training. On the soft side like a brittany? The pup comes from proven Elhew lines...
Mine is an Elhew/Guard Rail mix (mostly Guard Rail), so this may or may not be relevent, but compared to my GSP, I find him to be a touch on soft-side. He'll begin to shut down if I'm too tough on him or if sessions are too long. As a consequence, I've tried to keep sessions shorter and have tried to keep it fun for him as he also has a serious sense of play.
That said, he is a very biddable dog, checking-in often and usually responds well to voice and whistle. Lately he's also been rock-solid with his whoa training on live birds--a big problem early-on during training and hunting. Ironically, he's actually a close worker despite his horseback trial lineage but in my case, I think that's more due to my training than his genetics.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Could be a nice mix. I don't know how either runs- but I do enjoy my closer working V working with my slightly larger running setter. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My britt pup typically runs within gun dog range at field trials, been told by judges she will make a good gun dog. The pointer is out of Nitro Kennels and I believe they claim to breed their elhew pointers as shooting dogs. My guess the pointer will run bigger, could be good for my britt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello everyone
I know I am recently new to this forum and not as active as some of you that have become "friends", but anyone else have any opinions? I would like to hear them. Thanks!;)
Tom

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
brittany hunter said:
Hello everyone
I know I am recently new to this forum and not as active as some of you that have become "friends", but anyone else have any opinions? I would like to hear them. Thanks!;)
Tom
Maybe fill out your profile and tell us a little about yourself. Then people would have more info to give you advice. If you've got the time and desire (and this pointer is the type of dog you want) it would be tough for me to turn down a free well-bred dog. Maybe you are asking for more info about pointers in general??? Can't help you there, as I've never owned one personally, but there are many here who have. Help fill in some details and you should get some more feedback.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BradU20 said:
Maybe fill out your profile and tell us a little about yourself. Then people would have more info to give you advice. If you've got the time and desire (and this pointer is the type of dog you want) it would be tough for me to turn down a free well-bred dog. Maybe you are asking for more info about pointers in general??? Can't help you there, as I've never owned one personally, but there are many here who have. Help fill in some details and you should get some more feedback.
Yeah maybee your right. Been reading for awhile, registered, then made a few posts. Guess I could fill out the profile. :lol: Yes, I am asking for more info on pointers in general. Their tempermant, range, abilities, training, family life, etc... Thanks for any further help!
Tom

note: I'm trying to decide if this could work for the benefit of both pups.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Britt Hunter,

I have been breeding Brittanys since 1975. I have of late cut way back. However, I have a 10 year old Brittany and a 4 year old Elhew (for the most part) Pointer. The Brittany is a more methodical hunter, takes her time and sorts things out. Her range is typically close but will extend herself when the cover allows. She comes from a line of dogs that are of a more calm temperment and easy going, especially in the house. The Pointer as a puppy was a challenge, MUCH higher energy level and need for stimulation, i.e. training and other attention. The Pointers ranges has not proven to be too wide and she is the best retriever I have ever had.

So, I guess what I would tell you here is to accept the offer and take the pup. It is a workable combination and you'll be glad you did. If you have any questions you can PM or call me. Good Luck. FRANK.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I've been busy at the MI-Saginaw Brittany trial. By the way Molly placed 1st in Open Derby. Thanks for the new responses, I think im going to go for it. Going to go spend some time with her tommorow night.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sounds like a nice match in the making. Snatch that pup up, put it on a few birds, pop a few for her and then before you know it you will be Smashin Grouse over her...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts