Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own two pair of neoprene waders that work well for winter/ early spring, but they are both a little too warm for late spring and summer fishing. I was wondering if any of you anglers are currently using breatheables and how they are holding up.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I bought a pair of the Orvis clearwater stocking foot breathable waders maybe 3 or 4 years ago for about $150 and love them. They are holding up fine. I bushwack quite a bit and as long as I am careful not to run through any pickers I haven't had any troubles with them. They sure beat the neoprene for late spring and summer fly fishing. You can layer your clothing and wear long underwear, etc and extend the season for wearing them. I haven't personally used them in the winter for steelheading but would be interested if anyone has.The good thing is the last time I looked in the Orvis catalog the price was down to near a hundred bucks. In my opinion they are well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! I finally found someone that has a pair.
Two more questions:
Do they make a lot of noise while you are walking?(Like the canvas)
Do they attract burrs?
The reason I ask is because one of my favorite trout spots requires a long walk through a field that has many burrs that cling to my neoprene.

·
Administrator
35,636 Posts
Weezer, I too bought some neoprene waders and for early spring they are great. But I know exactly what you mean, they will burn your ass off in hot weather. I should probably consider buying a pair of breathables as well.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The breathables are really great. I bought a pair last year after 25 years of fishing in waders that roasted me in the summer time. In very hot weather I remember putting on my waders with just my underwear on just to try to stay a little cooler. Had to make sure that no one was around when you changed clothes. I still use my neoprenes for cold weather fishing but the breathables are the ticket when the weather gets hot. Worth the money if you do a lot of hot weather fishing.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
weezer, No they don't really make much noise at all when walking. Just a quiet swish, swish, and when in the water they are silent. Also the burrs do not stick at all to them. They have a very slick coating and I haven't found any thing to stick to them while walking. Also if you get a pair make sure to use a waist belt as they are looser fitting than neoprene and if you should fall in the belt is supposed to keep too much water from filling up your waders.

G

·
0 Posts
I use my breathables more and more every year. I just used them last Tuesday steelheading on the Pierre Marquette. I've found that putting plastic (fleece) long johns under them keep me pretty toasty even in cold water. The beauty of these things is that you don't get all clammy and chilled from sweat. I even tried them ice fishing. It used to be when you drag your sled across the snow and ice, you would sweat like a stuck pig then get to sit on a bucket in frigid weather. Tough stuff! The breathables let the moisture escape, kept you dry and blocked the wind. What's better than that?
Boot foot waders allow more room for thick platic and wool socks (never cotton under this stuff, it NEVER dries and doesn't wick moisure away from you to the outer layer).
For the layer next to the skin, most outfitting stores have a thin polypro sock, long john and under shirt to wick moisture, on top of that, a thick absorbing and insulating layer (wool or fleece), then your windproof, breathable shell.
I HATE being cold! If your too warm, you can always take a layer off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just a dumb question but doenst anyone wet wade? if its hot enough to sweat in your waders lose em? just a little humor.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to wet wade until I hit some slow water and found a bunch of leeches!!! besides that I used waders to fish for carp in the marshes around my house. You wouldn't want to wade that without protection!!!!!!

·
Administrator
35,636 Posts
WEEZER, I used to do the same thing and then the leach thing happened to me. That was the last time I went without waders also. Boy can those things really find you in the water!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've only had my Hodgeman Breathables for about a year and they are holding up great. I broke down and bought them last year towards the end of the steelie run becuase it was hot out. Although mine are still in great shape, I love them so much I would by a pair a year if I had to. They are great. My neoprenes were 5mm so they killed me. I do a lot of hiking and by did they tear ya up. Not to mention the breathables were my first pair of stocking foot waders. They are now listed as my most prized fishing possessions. Now you have it. better go get you some. and I assure you'll be very happy.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes Hodgeman is the brand that I will be buying! I have had nothing but good luck with that brand. Right now I'm doing good with the neoprenes but if it gets any warmer I'll have to break down and buy them really soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts