Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
36,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's time to replace mine. The Cabelas Dry Plus breathable waders I've had for some 5 years have bit the dust. I'm looking for a new pair of breathables preferably with the neoprene stockings built in. I'll probably get as many different recommendations as posts but I'll ask anyway as it seems the best brands change over time.

·
Registered
408 Posts
they are expensive but take a look at the simms g-4's if you got a chance. i bit the bullet an bought a pair and have not regreted it since. or any of the simms for that matter are all good waders.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
I really like the Cabela's Dry Plus waist-high that I just got this spring. They are especially nice when nature calls while on the stream.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've had bad luck with the Simms in the past and the new Chota's aren't fairing much better! If you like the Cabela's and they don't leak for five years...By all means,buy some new ones!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
[email protected] pointed me to a pair of Dan Baileys 7 or 8 years ago and they have been excellent for me. They've survived several late night tangles with the swamps near the South Branch and are still going strong.

Kind of funny because I bought them out of frustation on a trip to the PM when my cheap Hodgman "leakables" finally pushed me to the edge. I think I paid $230 for them which seemed like a king's ransom to me at the time but it turned out to be one of the best bargains I've found in all of the $$$ I've spent on hunting and fishing.

Just like everything else, you get what you pay for. I'm sure Simms would do you fine too, that's what my dad uses and he hasn't had a problem.

·
Registered
420 Posts
those are mighty slick waders-- but i wouldn't show ESOX that online app. for an "Orvis Rewards" Visa on that page :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that just might send that boy over the edge:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Steve said:
I can get 25% off if I turn in my old waders as well.
Steve I have the same waders. I've had them for a little over three years and fish them real hard. I've got plenty of patch work on them but I'm still dry.

Seems like many waders leak before that much abuse. Many of the expensive one's wear just as fast. My first Cabelas pair ripped along a seam, I think I got them caught up on a fence on the Two Hearted River, and I sent them in for repair or replacement as that is part of their service. They sent a brand new pair back to me, no questions asked!

For the dollars and the customer service you can't beat those Cabela waders. I would gladly spend more money if I could get longer wear for the $$$$ but that just doesn't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would say get the any gore-tex or simms level you can. I've had my pair of simms gore-tex guides going on my 7th season and they are worth every penny I spent on them up front. For me, waders are not something you want to go cheap on, because if they fail...the WHOLE TRIP is ruined.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Patagonia's Watermaster I's that were on sale for $165 (from $335) that I really like. I have only had them for a few months, so I don't know about durability yet, but with Patagonia's warranty, I don't think that you can go wrong.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm going to buy a pair of breathable waders, I have a pair of 5mm neophrene and they are great in very cold water, they are just too warm the rest of the time and not very easy to get on and off. I'm looking at Cabelas dry plus line, how many of you have them and how well do you like them?

·
Registered
811 Posts
...dug this thread up...

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179238

...in it i replied with this...

I to buy into the theory of paying a little more for quality but unfortunately its not always the case. The first time you slip your waders on your one day closer to having to buy another pair...it only a matter of time.

This poster asked the same question on another board and i answered it there...

I can't tell you what to get but i can tell you what to avoid...Orvis. This is not meant to start the tired Orvis bashing thread, i'm an avid user of their products and could give three *hits about what others think.

Having said that...

I originally had some Hodgemans (can't endorse those either), had problems and tried Orvis's Enduras. I didn't get a season in them before i was standing in two bootfulls of water. They said they had a bad "lot" of Enduras...might have been the problem. I took them back, paid the difference and upgraded to Silver Labels...again in less than a season i got numerous leaks in the seams...all the seams. I was again told "we've been having seam problems with the Silver Labels"

I took those back, paid the difference and got the Pro Guides...that was end of season last year. This past weekend, with less than about 20 days in them, i was wet in both legs from the knee down. I called the store Monday, started describing the problem and the guy finished my sentence...apparantly it is a known defect...here we go again.

I will also say i'm EXTREMELY careful with my waders...both putting them on, taking them off and while i'm wearing them. I also always hang them up after using, and thats how they stay until i use them again.

I'm now the proud owner of the Tailwaters...they upgraded me for free. I really hope these last because i've run out of product line...

I will say they are extremely comfortable and fit like a pair of pants...we'll see. I've been very happy with the customer support i've recieved from Orvis but i've been sadly dissapointed with their wader line to this point.

Having said all that, my buddy picked up an off brand pair of breathables from Seirra Trading Post two years ago...he treats 'em like *hit and hasn't had a problem...go figure.

Well, this weekend i notice along the seam line, just like the Proguides, they've split on both legs, i'm not sure if their leaking or not because i wasn't wading in deep enough water this weekend...less than 20 days on those to, probably more like 10...guess i'll be making a trip down to Orvis tomorrow...and i think i'm done with their waders.

Oh, and my buddys...he beat on 'em more this weekend and they're still going strong...:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
I have had very good luck with my simms. They are the only wader I have owned that have not sprung a leak along the seams during the 1st year of wear. I have the rivertechs which I picked up for 199 on sale from 279-299. I sent them back in for a tear I put in them. While they were there they also reccomened new neoprene booties and did some work on some pinhole leaks. For 35 bucks I got new booties, some small leaks replaced, a tear replaced and they fixed some loose stiching on one of the suspender straps. I was happy with thier customer service.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts