Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a light weight breathable rain suit. I can't afford one that costs hundreds of dollars but I want something what is effective at keeping me dry from the inside and outside. Any first hand recommendations? Thx.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have gone thru many different sets of rain gear but ultimately purchased Marmot Precip jacket and pants. Well worth the money, kept me very dry during my Alaska trip and the various motorcycle trips over the years. It is my go to gear in the boat now.

But, even breathable rain gear will not keep you dry under certain conditions, a condition known as "wet out" can and will occur with any type of breathable gear. Simply, it is where the humidity is equal or greater on the inside of the jacket then the outside of the jacket and your own perspiration with ultimately soak you from the inside out. Marmot does address this to an extent with good venting locations. I have had this happen to me a couple of times, both while backpacking in this gear. I have never had this occur while on the boat or the bike.

The jacket and pants are about $75.00-$100 for each but well worth the money and it wears like iron.

Mark

·
Registered
713 Posts
I got 2 jackets and a pair of pants years back from cabelas, "dry+", they had them in the bargain barn, I got a large jacket for mild weather and a 2x lrg jacket to wear over my fly vest and heavy clothes. They were around $80-$100 for each pc. They have some nice pull down cuffs and thumb holes, are nice and light and very packable stuffed into a vest and work really well, but like said there is that certain time....Ive got a Orvis jacket thats a bit heavier, keeps me dry pretty good, ok cuff with adjustable straps, not as packable and does not breath as well either. Still decent.

If its hot out, even the breathable stuff seems stuffy, if its chilly though it can be a blessing. Got that dry+ on in my pic, it had rained all morning

1 - 4 of 4 Posts