Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live by the M-53 and it is still closed...Seems a 60 year old man, possibly drunk, hit the woman trying to stop traffic for a semi to bring in dirt...He hit her and when he finally stopped his car he walked up to the woman and said, " I am sorry, I wasn't paying attention..." Now I live in the area and work in the area...even if I end up knowing this person I hope they slam it to him...this constuction has been going on for Months and people just can't follow the 45 MPH speed limit and are too impatient to wait 10 minutes if they have to stop traffic... My prayers are out to the woman and her family...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2455519/detail.html

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I think its up to 15yrs and $75,000 for injuring/killing a road worker. I hope they throw the book at him.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Originally posted by YPSIFLY
I think its up to 15yrs and $75,000 for injuring/killing a road worker.
Actually it is $7500-what a joke! :mad:

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
I live in Ida and drive through the US 23 road construsction everyday. I really pisses me off to see how people speed through the construction zones. It's not too many years ago that I was doing that kind of work.

I make it a point to drive the speed limit through all construction zones no matter what time of day. It's amazing how many people run up on your tail and get pissed because you're driving the speed limit!!

I hope they throw the book at him. My thoughts and prayers go out to the worker and her family.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Several months ago I did not post the story of a woman that was charged under the injure/kill worker law. I do remember that she beat the case because of a technically. In order to be convicted there has to be "intent". Note, she did not "intend" to injure/kill the worker along the road. It was an accident officer. High speed or lower speed the state still needs to prove intent, because the driver didn't drive through the construction zone to deliberately hit a worker. It is impossible for the state to prove the intent unless the driver actually confesses. Bottom line is the sign is in place at the construction sites, but the foundation of the law is flawed and the legislators need to rework the injure/kill a worker law.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts