Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kids came over Friday m Frisco area and we went over to Crystal Lake and was able to put 16 nice gills and Rockies in the freezer to take back with them! Was a good time until the yahoos on jet skies and pontoons that thought we were their personal play toys decided to harass us
Food Durian Green Cabinetry Ingredient
! Grandson had a blast catching the last three keepers! Good times to be remembered!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Kids came over Friday m Frisco area and we went over to Crystal Lake and was able to put 16 nice gills and Rockies in the freezer to take back with them! Was a good time until the yahoos on jet skies and pontoons that thought we were their personal play toys decided to harass us View attachment 839179 ! Grandson had a blast catching the last three keepers! Good times to be remembered!
Congrats, good catch!

That plug should be GFCI!

·
Premium Member
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Them some really nice gills Bob! :)
Caught 17 more yesterday in a terrible wind. Gave up at one. Some of the females still had eggs in them which was surprising.

Reactions: Ralph Smith

·
Premium Member
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too bad you couldn't scale a dozen fir me! :ROFLMAO: just put some venison pastrami in the smoker. Would be a good trade! ;):)
View attachment 839620
Can try to get some of them for you next week. They should still be around. I just have not been after them until the kids came in and the wind forecast made the bay seem like a stretch. Daughter loves to fish and is very aggressive about getting the biggest or most fish!:LOL::LOL:

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
Can try to get some of them for you next week. They should still be around. I ju8st have not been after them until the kids came in and the wind forecast made the bay seem like a stretch. Daughter loves to fish and is very aggressive about getting the biggest or most fish!:LOL::LOL:
It's no biggie Bob, just messing with you...I will have some pastrami for you to try though. Might have to barter for a ride. :LOL: I got too much fish in freezer as it is, need to eat more up. :) Did smoked wild turkey yesterday, it's tenderizing in the pot right now. Got 2 loads of salmon to smoke tomarrow..

Food Kitchen appliance Ingredient Outdoor grill rack & topper Recipe

Food Ingredient Tableware Recipe Seafood

·
Premium Member
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's no biggie Bob, just messing with you...I will have some pastrami for you to try though. Might have to barter for a ride. :LOL: I got too much fish in freezer as it is, need to eat more up. :) Did smoked wild turkey yesterday, it's tenderizing in the pot right now. Got 2 loads of salmon to smoke tomarrow..

View attachment 839635
View attachment 839634
Good gravy Ralph, when do you have time to fish with all that you have on your plate? How is the boat coming? My guess is that it is time for you to be out after those bandits any day now. Your works of art look awfully tasty. Just found out that #3 daughter and hubby will be visiting next week after daughter #4 and hubby go back to San Fran. Sounds like I am going to be busy either on this little lake or on the bay if it cooperates.

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
Well who'd of thunk a possum can heal itself! :ROFLMAO: Got in boat earlier to put top up for rain coming tonight and for s.h.i.t.s and giggles hit the trim/tilt....it worked! Put cylinders back together with Joe's help and she trimmed up and down 3 times without a problem! 🤷‍♂️ Ready for sea trials I guess.. :LOL: Gotta get all this smoking done first. Wild turkey all done, venny pastrami all done. Now salmon abd Cisco tomarrow and another store turkey on Thursday...
Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Mixture

Food Aluminium foil Foil Ingredient Gold

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

Food Ingredient Recipe Tire Cuisine

Food Ingredient Sleeve Artifact Cuisine

Azure Wood Rectangle Food Natural material

Automotive tire Ingredient Wood Staple food Cuisine

·
Premium Member
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well who'd of thunk a possum can heal itself! :ROFLMAO: Got in boat earlier to put top up for rain coming tonight and for s.h.i.t.s and giggles hit the trim/tilt....it worked! Put cylinders back together with Joe's help and she trimmed up and down 3 times without a problem! 🤷‍♂️ Ready for sea trials I guess.. :LOL: Gotta get all this smoking done first. Wild turkey all done, venny pastrami all done. Now salmon abd Cisco tomarrow and another store turkey on Thursday...
View attachment 839738
View attachment 839742
View attachment 839740
View attachment 839737
View attachment 839741
View attachment 839739
View attachment 839736
Most of that looks awfully good. Kind of wonder about the Cisco. One 4th of July my brother came up to the Soo and we fished by Lime Island catching 42 of them in two days. Really enjoyed catching them but when it came to eating my wife fried them up like normal fish and they were like eating cardboard. None of us in either family liked them which was somewhat unusual. Never had the smoked so not sure how they would be but the salmon etc looked good. Not sure what was in the cellophane taped packages.

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
I can smell that smoker going over here, might have to walk over.;) Taking the grandson out for some eye's in the morning, hopefully nice after rain.
Stop by Mark will be here all day. I owe you anyway for dropping off venny...I got some canned venny left, will hook you up with some and a hunk of pastrami. :)

·
Premium Member
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Cisco have a larger dark lateral line but are alot like whitefish. I'll scrape the dark stuff off after smoking and they make an awesome fish dip! :)
I thought they looked exactly like whitefish when we caught them. Found there was a slight difference (in the head area I think, been 35 years now) but big difference in taste. Didn't mention it before as I forgot but I also am glad that you got the possum back in working order. Now for the test!:censored::censored:

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
I thought they looked exactly like whitefish when we caught them. Found there was a slight difference (in the head area I think, been 35 years now) but big difference in taste.
Isn't funny that out of the 2, the bottom feeder is the one that tastes best. :LOL: Everyone puts down bottom feeders and the ones that feed on or near bottom are usually the best tasting. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Caught 17 more yesterday in a terrible wind. Gave up at one. Some of the females still had eggs in them which was surprising.
Honestly I’ve starting to finally see fish on beds more inland so I don’t think they have even started spawning out towards the bay yet been looking for beds out there and it far and few right now

·
Premium Member
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Isn't funny that out of the 2, the bottom feeder is the one that tastes best. :LOL: Everyone puts down bottom feeders and the ones that feed on or near bottom are usually the best tasting. :)
Very true! It was always funny when we cleaned the whitefish and they were full of the barley we put down as chum! Lay them on tinfoil and put onion, pad of butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper! Seal it and put on hot grill for about 3 - 4 minutes on each side! Delicious!!!!!😋😋

·
Premium Member
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Todays final catch of 25 nice gills! 6 frozen packages heading to San Francisco next week!

these two pics are Mondays and today’s!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts