Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
17,511 Posts
Ice getting better, and a few keepers to the North.
Ice is now safe (5 - 6 inches) out to the second stress crack. Ice just on the other side of this crack is ONLY 1.5 inches in most spots. I couldn't believe that two snow mobiles came flying across this ice from New Baltimore yesterday afternoon. How do you spell S-T-U-P-I-D???
Anyway, being a glutton for punishment I went out exploring again yesterday with my neighbor. Still not worth the effort, but we probably kept around 20 fish (7 - 9 inches) between us. Still a ton of dinks. The nicer fish were in 6.5 feet of water about 1.0 - 3.0 feet below the ice between the apartments and out toward Schmidts Marina. LONG FREAKIN WALK!
Note: I almost fell through trying to head out to the south! That stress crack dividing the safe ice from the not-safe ice runs from Schmidts Marina on a sharp angle to the shore of Goulette Point.
<----<<<

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thanks for that report Joe, I was wondering about BBP and was going to go scout out there this afternoon, you definetly saved me a trip:) How was the water clarity? Thanks!! :)

·
Administrator
17,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In case anyone is interested, Sunday I tested the ice to the south and was able to make it out probably a half mile. The ice I tested was around 4-5 inches.
However, the rain today could make much of it unsafe. Should be good again with the cold snap this week, but for now be careful around runoffs near stress cracks!!!
Fish? What fish? Hopefully it turns around before last ice!
<----<<<

1 - 5 of 5 Posts