Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that hunting season has wrapped up, I just had to find another outdoor hobby to annoy my wife with. Seemed like ice fishing would do the trick.

I bought 3 rods, an Eskimo Qickfish shelter, a scooper, lazer auger, propane heater, and some jigs the guy at Cabela's threw at me. I have the sled, aside from that is there anything I should else I have.

I will be fishing on some local ponds and two 40 acre old quarry lakes. I know one of lakes had some walleyes in it, although I'm not sure of the population.

I enjoyed reading the thread on "dinks" but what the heck is a flasher?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Lol, I dont know what advise to give you. Yesterday I went fishing and didnt have my vex with me (left it at my parents over the holidays). I was completely lost! I say learn to fish without one first because once you buy one you kinda forget how to really fish. On the other hand, I absolutely love my vex and feel that everyone should have one lol.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Come on guys, he's looking for advice, he doesnt need to hear a finder war. Nobody ever wins those battles, especially the guys who spent a fortune on a vex when they could have had so much more for so much less with the x67. :hide:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hit youtube and you'll be able to see some in action. Fish finders... not flashers. If I forgot mine and found that out at the lake Id turn back and go home..... just sayin.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Sounds like the only thing you need now is a buddy to fish with. Ice fishing CAN be dangerous if you don't know the lake. There again some of the guys I have fished with made it dangerous. :p

The baked bean shrapnell incident of 2009 on Lake Fenton will never be forgotten! :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Now that hunting season has wrapped up, I just had to find another outdoor hobby to annoy my wife with. Seemed like ice fishing would do the trick.

I bought 3 rods, an Eskimo Qickfish shelter, a scooper, lazer auger, propane heater, and some jigs the guy at Cabela's threw at me. I have the sled, aside from that is there anything I should else I have.

I will be fishing on some local ponds and two 40 acre old quarry lakes. I know one of lakes had some walleyes in it, although I'm not sure of the population.

I enjoyed reading the thread on "dinks" but what the heck is a flasher?

Thanks in advance.

You might notice the ongoing argument on this forum on which is better portable sonar, analog flashers (vexilar) or a digital graph (lowrance x67c). There are a bunch of threads on the subject. Read those before you buy one.

·
West Mi supporting member
294 Posts
Since you sound like yer gonna be fishin small water, likely away from crowds.... I'd suggest a good ice spud to check the ice with. I think I paid $10 for mine. Cheap insurance that the ice will support ya on a desolate little body of water all by yer lonesome.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice guys. After reading some of the posts and articles it sounds like dangling 25 ft above ground in tree stand is a lot safer than ice fishing....man you guys must have some brass B***S!

I am bringing a spud bar, and going to raid the hunting slush fund for a "flasher".

Thanks again.

John

·
Registered
307 Posts
Have a GOOD spud and use it. Quarry ice can be inconsistent, that's what I fish on around here. Since it's mostly alone,I would use a short length of aluminum ladder for a safety stop in case I fell through. Now I've advanced to a float suit, feel safer and sure beats carrying that damn ladder. Sure the guys that watched from a scrap yard by the one quarry miss watching the dufuss with the ladder.lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dang guys. What ever happened to grabbing your spud, rods, corn bores, box and hitting the ice? Spuding a few holes until you found them or going onto the ice and fishing where everyone is? If we didn't know a lake, we just looked for where the fishermen where or if no one was there, we looked for the drilled or spuded holes. Nine times out of ten, thats where the fish are. Now whether they are hitting or not is another story. LoL

·
Administrator
26,855 Posts
Dang guys. What ever happened to grabbing your spud, rods, corn bores, box and hitting the ice? Spuding a few holes until you found them or going onto the ice and fishing where everyone is? If we didn't know a lake, we just looked for where the fishermen where or if no one was there, we looked for the drilled or spuded holes. Nine times out of ten, thats where the fish are. Now whether they are hitting or not is another story. LoL
I remember those days well!!:lol:

Sure is different and easier now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts