Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, son loves to shoot-anything-guns- bows-BB's, well he was at cabelas and fell in love with the Barnett Predator. He does not hunt so no need to fight over inclusion! He likes the 375 fps speed and 22 inch bolt, says it's sweet? He asked me what I thought and I said I would ask the experts,
Soooooo please try to keep it in the 500-700 range. :confused:

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
In that range Look at horton, parker, Some tenpoints

Barnett is a good bow, but I have heard alot of bad things, but you always here that

Buy him what he feels the most comfortable with

·
Registered
720 Posts
No, you don't need a "big scope".

3X scope is plenty... some folks just go with a zero power red dot.

My order of brands:

1) TenPoint

2) Excalibur

3) Bowtech

4) Parker

5) Horton

6) all the rest

Other crossbow owners could have different opinions I'm sure..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I trying to help someone, and this is what i get.
:) Thank you Mr.Butter but if you remember I said my son didn't hunt, never said I didn't.I'm the one who makes 4" groups at 50yds so I can keep em under 2" at 20yds with my PSE and my carbon hunters with Mussy MAX4's when I shot, so a big scope my give him to much advantage to beat the old man, but thank you for your advice,Tow thank you for the list I have a Gilmor red dot I was going to take off my Marlin for him should be good enough for 35yds max shot.will not compete with him at greater than hunting range! and thank you deerslayer for trying to keep the posts on topic!!!!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sorry butter.... I 'should' have worded that differently: "In order to save yourself from further embarrassment, perhaps you need to refrain from speaking to that which it is evident you have no knowledge."
~m~

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Eveyone will have thier opinion on Crossbow brands.I personally shoot Hortons but have shot a lot of other brands.Horton is good about standing behind thier product.My friend has a Barnett thats 2 years old and the thing is a tuning nightmare even after sending it back 3 times.A sporting goods store owner down state told me he won't even carry Barnetts anymore due to problems getting accesories and parts...The Ten-Points and X-Calibers are very nice bows and shoot great but a little pricey for me...good luck on your choise...

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
i have dads old horton and love it now with the new talon trigger in it. what ever you choose make sure you have a talon or better trigger in it (4.5 lbs), period. scopes are a personal choice as any shots taken at deer beyond 40 yards are pretty long for a crossbow IMHO. not that they cannot be made but you defeat the purpose of the hunt, once again IMHO. compounds are made and designed better for those 40 plus yard shots anyhow and this i can speak for on a first hand basis--been there and done that!
have fun with whatever you choose to use.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts