Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know I have a 14 month old puppy named Hershey. i have had problems with him not wanting to retrieve. Well, Yesterday while on a pheasant hunt he retrieved his first bird. Still alive, I might add. Right to us. After taht he retrieved everything. Some of the retrieves were pretty long ones to boot.

Here are some pictures of the trip.

One of Hershey's first retrieves.

Hershey on Point.

This is the gang I went hunting with.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
alot of times it takes a good retrive when the bird is alive or the have to track a bird a few yards to find it and thats all it takes

If you want this dog to be a very relable retriver have it force trained then there never would be any doubt

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I have a GSP puppy coming home with me at the end of April. What's the best way to train a dog to retreive? I have heard alot of theories, is there one tested and true way to teach this?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
if you want him to retrive every time every time wait till its a year old and have some one force train it then there no doubt besides that play fetch with it every day but alot of dogs will stop when it comes to birds the only way to say 100% is force trained

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Steve,

I just joined NAVHDA and got a good video that gives some tips on the force retrieve and shows you how to do it. . . also have the 'green book' that came as well. I am going to start using it on my weim this summer, although she does great with retrieving while her training collar is on, I want the same thing without the collar.

I am going to be doing it as a beginner, but it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. . . .just takes patience.

Randy

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
You have to love it when your pup does gets past somthing you considered a problem.
Looks like you both had a good day.

On FF. Im starting force fetch on my dog soon. There are some great books out there. The best I have found so far is SmartFetch by Evan Graham. If anyone needs help finding it shoot me a PM and I can point you to it. Im about half way through it now and its an easy read and goes into detail.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I don't get it. I am sure I don't. But I figured that once he started to retrieve, he would always retrieve. So why put him through the pain of Foce fething. I have watched the tape and read the green book. I think that is kind of harsh for a dog that does retrieve. If I have to I will, but...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
FF is only harsh and/or painful if the dog resists. Most learn fast and don't resist too much. An occasional knotheaded male retriever will, but you just keep the pressure on and they conform.
FF gives you a reliable retriever. Even if other dogs are in the field with you. There's no playing keep-a-way with the other mutts. Just get the bird and retrieve a straight line back to you. It also gives you a tool to correct the dog that may want to stop and mouth a downed bird.
Example: a bird is downed and the dog makes the find. But instead of retrieving it he decides to start eating the thing. Because he hasn't been force trained to retrieve it. What are you going to do? Run over and get it away from him as fast as you can. What did the dog just learn? He learned that you are going to come to him, and to eat faster next time. He learned that he can get away with it.
What I'm saying is FF can head off any situations like this.
Hopefully your GWP will always bring the bird to you. But do you have a plan in the event he doesn't? Once a dog starts to "blink" on a retrieve it's harder to correct than forcing him to fetch in the first place.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Jumpshootin
Well said, I have pretty much profected a easy way not as harsh or painful all tho it stilll can be most dogs fly right . and you are left with a reliable dog that will fetch EVERY time regradless of whats going on around him

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
GWPguy, I wasnt recomending you should FF your dog. Just offiering up info on a good how to if someone wanted it. Sounds like your dog is doing well on his own. If mine would retrieve on dry land like she will in the water I wouldn't be FFing her but she will not pick the bumpers or birds for that mater up on land and if she does she will not bring them back. I cant possibly teach her to do blinds without first FFing her.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
May sure and give Hershey a lot of add a boys. I was sure he would retrieve after I seen him go after that bird in a bag. He is just another example not every dog goes by training books schedules some times it just takes time dogs are just like people we all don't learn on the same curve. Let me guess I'll still bet you still have a smile on your face thinking how great it was to see his first retrieve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts