Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
5301.jpeg

Got the exterior of the blind I got from Black Dog Farms painted over the holiday weekend. Still have to paint the interior black, and find a piece of carpet for the floor. Placed my order for windows today, so things are coming together. This one won't be elevated, just up on concrete blocks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 538669

Got the exterior of the blind I got from Black Dog Farms painted over the holiday weekend. Still have to paint the interior black, and find a piece of carpet for the floor. Placed my order for windows today, so things are coming together. This one won't be elevated, just up on concrete blocks.
Looks great! What size windows are you going with?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Looks great! What size windows are you going with?
I wanted the horizontal windows big enough to shoot a cross bow from easily, those are 14×32. The vertical windows are 12 1/2 × 28. I also hunt with a long bow so the vertical windows should work fine. All windows will be ordered blacked out to keep from being silhouetted.

I'm hoping the horizontal windows aren't too big, but I can't stand huge blind spots in a blind. I guess if it feels like the window openings are too big after hunting it a couple times I can build them in a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted the horizontal windows big enough to shoot a cross bow from easily, those are 14×32. The vertical windows are 12 1/2 × 28. I also hunt with a long bow so the vertical windows should work fine. All windows will be ordered blacked out to keep from being silhouetted.

I'm hoping the horizontal windows aren't too big, but I can't stand huge blind spots in a blind. I guess if it feels like the window openings are too big after hunting it a couple times I can build them in a bit.
I just ordered the same blind you have from Black Dog, and have been thinking about installing the hinged Deerview windows as well, but have never used them. Are you going to use the interior or exterior mounted windows?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I just ordered the same blind you have from Black Dog, and have been thinking about installing the hinged Deerview windows as well, but have never used them. Are you going to use the interior or exterior mounted windows?
I'm using the interior mounted hinged windows. I have them on another blind, and for the money I don't think you can beat em. They will build your windows to whatever size you need. I had Black Dog make my windows to my spec. By ordering the blind with no windows, they didn't charge me as much as normal either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm using the interior mounted hinged windows. I have them on another blind, and for the money I don't think you can beat em. They will build your windows to whatever size you need. I had Black Dog make my windows to my spec. By ordering the blind with no windows, they didn't charge me as much as normal either.
In regard to your camo windows, did you go with the clear or grey tint?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
In regard to your camo windows, did you go with the clear or grey tint?
The ones I am ordering for this blind are grey tinted. This blind will not be elevated so I think it would be easier to get busted. The previous ones are clear, that blind is elevated 8 ft, never had an issue getting caught moving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The ones I am ordering for this blind are grey tinted. This blind will not be elevated so I think it would be easier to get busted. The previous ones are clear, that blind is elevated 8 ft, never had an issue getting caught moving.
Thanks for the info! At what heights (from the blind floor) are you setting your windows for your ground blind, and what window heights would you recommend for an elevated blind set on an 8 to 9 foot high platform?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Thanks for the info! At what heights (from the blind floor) are you setting your windows for your ground blind, and what window heights would you recommend for an elevated blind set on an 8 to 9 foot high platform?
If you go with the Octagon blind Black Dog builds their window heights are just right. The vertical windows are closer to the floor for shots where a deer is close to the blind and the blind is elevated. Paul has his blinds pretty well thought out for someone of average height. I put adjustable height office chairs in all my blinds to help with that too. I pick them up on craigslist or FB market place for about 20 bucks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Has anyone bought or built a handicapped accessible blind? A good friend has Parkinson's and I want to be able to accommodate his needs. Big enough for 2 hunters. Who knows, I may need it myself someday. Already have a good spot for it. Looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've never built one, or had one built handicap accessible, but it wouldn't be hard. We have one that is 6x6 that is plenty big enough for two. The only other considerations would be door width and window height if by accessible you mean wheel chair accessible. You would also want some kind of ramp for access for a wheel chair or to avoid stepping up into the blind. I guarantee Paul at Black Dog can build whatever you want if you don't want to DIY.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Many years ago my neighbor had one built for himself as he was in a wheelchair, it was quite large with a table for all the things for him and his helper, but also large to be able to turn around in the wheelchair which as you can imagine, requires a little extra space. I’m thinking his blind was probably in the ball park of 10x10 or 12x12 with a ramp to access.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Built this in 2013 by myself. It took most of the summer and fall. The posts are 4x4x16s and the top is 5x10. Half is inclosed and the other half is a open deck for bow hunting when I get older. (That was officially last year) View attachment 553157

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Pretty Tajmahalish. Probably a much better rifle stand. Especially if hunting from the deck.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Built this in 2013 by myself. It took most of the summer and fall. The posts are 4x4x16s and the top is 5x10. Half is inclosed and the other half is a open deck for bow hunting when I get older. (That was officially last year) View attachment 553157

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I like that covered deck for bow hunting alot. When I built my elevated blind it has a deck on the entry side that's about 30 inches deep that runs the width of the platform, just gives you someplace to stand when you come up the stairs to get the door open. After I had hunted that blind about twice I was kicking myself for not making that deck deeper, 4 feet or so, that way I could have bow hunted from it. That's one advantage of building them yourself, the possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I like that covered deck for bow hunting alot. When I built my elevated blind it has a deck on the entry side that's about 30 inches deep that runs the width of the platform, just gives you someplace to stand when you come up the stairs to get the door open. After I had hunted that blind about twice I was kicking myself for not making that deck deeper, 4 feet or so, that way I could have bow hunted from it. That's one advantage of building them yourself, the possibilities are endless.
I considered a box blind with a small entrance area deck but in the end decided on a bottom entry hatch. It leaves all 4 walls open for full width windows. I do wish on some mild early season days that I had a deck to put a lawn chair on. Especially during the youth hunt with the grand daughters. Maybe next time.

121 - 140 of 192 Posts