Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok what should i do t oscout for bow season i got acces to 130 acres in fowlerville and need tips

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Ok, first thind is to give me a call and I'll do all the scouting for you. :)

Seriously,

This is a great time to scout. I'd get out there this weekend and take a look. You want to look for obvious sign: runways, rubs, food sources and possibly sheds. Get a good feel for the topography and try to get your hands on an aerial photo. I like to print aerial photos and touch them up with key landmarks. Look for potential stands that have good entry and exit routes. I like to leave at least a small section of the land I hunt as asanctuary. You may find a great bedding area that has that potential. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
since i am just down the road from there you should give me a call.LOL

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
first thing to do is look for the trails theya re using see were they lead too, then look for bedding areas, food sources, and travel routes between these look for good cover and wood lots they may travel, old scrapes and rubs are good too if need be i would help you i dont need a place to hunt but would be more than willing to help you with no asking to hunt or any thing like tha ti like scouting

·
Registered
550 Posts
Don't get discouraged if you don't find a lot of sign. While this is not a bad time to scout, depending on the area, deer can change their habits quite a bit month to month. With 130 acres, you shouldn't have much trouble finding the deer sign and patterning the routes. With smaller parcels of land, you need to do intensive scouting closer to the season you plan to hunt. I hunt a 12 acre parcel that has a lot of sign through the summer up to early December and then it drops off considerably. Why? My guess is because the corn is usually cut by then. Once the corn gets cut and the deer start yarding up for the winter, traffic across this 12 acres shuts down.

I suppose hunting pressue also plays an impact on deer activity for this 12 acre parcel, but I try to be good. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts