Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
That's where I used to catch them with some kind of regularity. (above Barton Pond) Not sure if one can still launch there

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Plenty below Barton and Argo as well. Tons in Fenton lake also. Upper river portions of Kent lake as well

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Anybody eat those things, kinda 1/2 pike/ 1/2 eel. I've ate both but never a bowfin.
When I was in high school, I filleted one for spite in Canada. The flesh was like thick applesauce. The seagulls wouldn't even touch the remains. Not sure if that was because of the natural stink it had or something else. I'll try just about any fish once, but that's as close as I'm getting to eating a bowfin.

·
Premium Member
7,502 Posts
My parents rented a place in Florida with a pond it wouldn’t take but 2 minutes to walk around. There was a big fish that jumped.

We’d gone on a guide trip the day before and I still had my 8 weight rigged for bonefish. I took the shrimp fly off, cut off the tippet and tied a frog popper on. No takes. Then I switched to a black clouser and caught a dozen of these gnarly dudes.

They fight pretty good.

·
Premium Member
7,502 Posts
My first experience with them was at Metro Beach Metro Park in a small pond with an opening to Lake St. Clair.

·
Registered
404 Posts
When I was a youngster, my dad always told me that when I catch a dogfish to stick a screwdriver in it's head before I release it, because it eats other fish's eggs. I did that as I grew up as well, but I caught seven of them in one day once, and it got really expensive to stick the screwdrivers in their heads then release them. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts