Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a new bow-mount trolling motor. I have an 89' spectrum 17 1/2' deep V aluminum boat with the dual console/walkthru. I was checking into buying the Minn Kota Powerdrive 40lb thrust and 48" shaft. I know that a 50+lbs and 50"+ shaft would be better, but is it really necessary with this size boat. The boat currently has an old Mercrury Thruster on it the says "RL21", which I think is only a model # and not thrust size. This motor does not run and is probably not worth fixing and if measured correctly, appears to have a 42" shaft. I would mainly be fishing inland lakes and occasionally Lk. St. Clair and Saginaw Bay.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Buy the most powerful motor you may think you may need. Also the longest shaft you can get. You can allways shorten the shaft if need be, but those waves on Saginaw Bay will use all your shaft. I have a Minnkota Autopilot and love it to death! I'll never have a boat again without the autopilot. I lock off the gas motor with a bungee cord, and use it just for forward motion, and use the bow mount autopilot for steering. It works great! Even in rough windy conditions.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I suggest a 55 PD Minn Kota with a 48" - 54" shaft. This will be the most powerful unit by them and remain in the 12 volt class. Invest in your motor up front and you'll never wish you had done it when the lesser size motor does not perform the way you wish it would. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, living with the error sometimes really sucks. Especially when your talking about a $400.00 (plus) motor. I've got the above motor on a 17' Sportcraft (glass) and it works out excellently. The "co-pilot" feature gets added this year, only $149.995 for the upgrade kit ! :D :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone else I talked with says about the same thing, go with the PD 55/54in. shaft. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
A general rule for trolling motors is Pounds of Thrust = 3 x Boat Length.

Get the one with the autopilot. You won't regret it.

·
Super Moderator
37,756 Posts
On the wind swept waters of LSC and Saginaw bay, you will need the longest shaft available on that boat to keep the prop in the water in the waves, and the most thrust you can afford to fight the wind. I would suggest the autopilot, which will allow you to concentrate on the fishing, not the wind. Copilot would be a great upgrade to add to the autopilot for 150 bucks more, and it hardly takes a mechanical genius to install, a couple of screws and a plug.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I got mine at lakeside fishing shop 2 years ago. 55pd with 54 inch shaft for $380 out the door. I have 17 1/2 ft crestliner. Moves it around decently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts