Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few questions. Should I cover up the battery some how, to keep snow and water off of it and other parts? How do some of you carry them out without getting snow and what not all over them? Anything little tips and tricks to these machines? I was going to get the fl-18, but, I was on a budget so I went with the fl-8, plus it will work great for some of the waters that I fish.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
from what i understand, they are pretty bulletproof as far as water damage. I would bring it in out of the cold when possible, as well, extreme cold isn't the best for any battery, plus ya gotta charge it. other than that, have fun!

steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would purchase the soft case they make for these if i were you they sell for about thirty bucks and all your worries will be over.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I second the soft cases...They are worth the money. I've still had mine soaking wet and frozen a TON of times and it still works as good as the day it was new.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
i have the FL-8 slt basically the same unit if you plan to fish shallow or weedy water where you cant turn the gain down far enough to get a good reading get the suppression cable it is well worth the 18 buxs! it lets you have the "low" power setting just like the FL-18. as far as carrying it around i throw mine in a 5 gallon bucket use it only for vex storage and bring it in at nite no cover or anything havent had a problem yet they are pretty bulletproof

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
One thing that I do with my 18 is put a piece of Saran Wrap over the face and hold it on with a rubber band. This keeps the face clear of snow.....Patch

·
Banned
1,819 Posts
That is a good idea patch. the soft case is a good thing , that is what I use. You won't be disapointed with the FL8

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea Patch. I will check those soft cases out.

Broke it in this morning. Marked alot of fish. Had a few come and check out my offering, but nothing. I love my Vex :)

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Which pack did you get Dale? The genz? Pro? Econ?

They are some tough units I wouldnt worry to much. I have the Genz pack and that is a tough case. I accidently knocked mine off my tool box on my truck it fell about 4 ft to the concrete. Picked it up and nothing broke, turned it on and a humming it went. I do have a scratch on the transducer but it still works fine!!!

You will love it!!! or hate it!!! I have marked some pigs on my vex but couldnt get them to hit! Uggh!!!! Thats when I would be better off, if I didnt know what was down there!:D

One note the FL-18 Zoom feature is sweet on the river! Sorry Dale I had to bring that up!!!!;) :p :D

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
They make a plastic cover for the face of it. It's a lot more durable than suran wrap and it only costs like 8 bucks. It also magnifies the display so it is easier to read.

·
Registered
377 Posts
get the soft case and don't ever leave home without your vex!!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hey Scotty

Still waiting for you to come up so I can test out the interference rejection button. But looks like now I will be able to test it out with Dale.

Any tips?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Well I've only had to use it twice I think but basically just keep pressing the gain until you get a picture you like. For me it didn't seem like any setting was perfect but it did block out some, I sure didn't like it though, seemed to make the readings choppy. I'll be up there next week for sure. Better off staying 5 yards from your buddies if they have one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As for durability, I bought my FL-8 in 1989 from Reeds in MN and have used it every winter on the ice and summers on my bow mount trolling motor with no problems at all. It gets towed in a sled behind a snowmobile for MILES out on the rough ice of the bay and pounds thru waves on the front of the boat. I'm on my second motorcycle battery and my "box" is homemade , from plywood. My transducer is fixed to an arm off the box and I prefer that as I can aim it downstream in current. A Vex is one of the best fishing investments you can make. You will catch more fish using one.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a vex FL8 that I picked up from a buddy....someone had given/traded or sold it to him with a portable fishfinder. I got both for $50. I had to then buy a battery, the round mount and I was set for less than $100. I still want a suppressor cable though. I was in 6 feet of water last week and couldn't get a good reading or see my lure. I knew there were fish there though as my buddy's aquaview was showing a bunch!

As for storeage, I use a five gallon bucket with lid. I lay a towel across the opening and put the vex in....the towel falls in to protect it and I can store radioes, gloves, etc. in the rest/top of the bucxket. If you were using this without a shanty you could then sit on the bucket or place the vex on the bucket lid to keep from cranking your neck down to see it!

As for the magnifying cover....I thought this would be great too but I checked someone else's out and did not like it....seemed to distort the marks..... plastic is just not as good as glass foir viewing through.

I love mine! It does wonders for your confidence to know that you have your lure near fish. Wait until you are fishing for gills near the bottom and see the red marks come in above them. Crank the lure up and wait.....when they're biting the fish will be on! Just an awesome machine!

Good luck with yours,

Tom

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, here is a question for you ya's. When you have a fish come up and is right their, do you a) keep your lure steady b) give a little more movement to entice the fish to hit, or c) rais your lure? I went out tonight for a little bit. Had fish come up and stay right next to my rap. I raised, it followed, I dropped, it followed. Any tips for when fish do this?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
keep doing what you were doing to bring em in..... if they just sit there for a while, try something different, but if you truly attracted them in, more often thats what they want. Too many people change up what they are doing, get sort of a "fish fever" and screw things up.

steve

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
I have a "Mammoth Outfitters" soft case, I can part with for a small fee. Its the "gray" colored soft pack, with the plastic tray thats molded for the vex, battery, and transducer. I'll be honest with ya,,, the reason I don't use it, is because the tray is square and doesn't fit in a bucket.:rolleyes: Sorry I don't have pics and no way to get any,,, broken scanner and camera:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts