Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to barrier coat and bottom paint my boat. It is on a aluminum bunk trailer with pretty low bunks. I have it in a pole barn and would like to paint it in there. Anybody have any experiance lifting a boat off a trailer to bottom paint. The boat is a 26'long , 12' tall, 5000lb boat.

I was thinking slide it back on the trailer a bit, brace the front of the trailer, jack the back of the baot up on jackstands, then when I'm done, set it back down and get the front where it was on the bunks and ther rear where the jacks were.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Jason, I lifted my boat off the trailer and braced it with 6x6's and cynderblocks, Not the safest, but It got it done.

Its alot easier if you can remover the trailer out from the bottom of the boat.

When I did it I used 2 floor jacks and just did it evenly.

Also I would leave the trailer hooked to a truck untill you get the boat up off the trailer.

Your going to have to do the process twice in order to get the axles past your bow support.

Carl

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would think about jacking it sideways. Leaving one side on the trailer. Thats how I fixed my bunker trailer when one of the bunkers broke last summer.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tdejong302 said:
I would think about jacking it sideways. Leaving one side on the trailer. Thats how I fixed my bunker trailer when one of the bunkers broke last summer.
Thats an interesting idea... :idea:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tdejong302 said:
I'm interested in more info on this.. I have to do this next week. Any info would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
539 Posts
My buddy bought a recked boat and had it repaired in his barn. He had it delivered on one of those fancy hydraulic trailers and set up on jackstand in the barn. But when he put the boat on the trailer this is how we did it.

The center keel of the boat was on blocks of wood and jackstand on each side. The center keel of the boat was balanced with the blocks of wood as far to the stern as we thought safe. The front jackstand were then taken away with the boat kept from tipping with the rear stands and a steady hand on each side. Its amazing how easily you can balance a boat sitting on just blocks. The rear cross member was then unbolted and removed from the trailer. This allowed the trailer to be backed under the boat until the rear axle came in contact with the forward most block of wood. The trailer was bolted back together, and then the trailer was jacked up to the boat. The boat was far enough on the bunks that enough of the weight of the boat was on the trailer. The boat was then winched onto the trailer the rest of the way. Took a while but it worked. I would think you could do it in reverse also depending on what type of trailer. Hope this made sense.

You also may be able to pay a marina to do it.

·
Premium Member
12,815 Posts
I have taken several 25 or 26 foot boats of of their trailers. I lower the jack on the front as far as it will go and this raises the back of the boat. Block at the transom with cribbing on each side. Raise the front jack up high and block the keel near the front and lower the jack untill the trailer can move ahead. You may have to do this in a couple of stages to get the keel or front blocking clear of the axle. It doesnt take much longer to take the boat off the trailer than to type this.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
plugger said:
It doesnt take much longer to take the boat off the trailer than to type this.
Dude you must be THE slowest typist in da world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts