Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Bottom Paint Stripper

510 5
I am looking for recommendations for a stripper product to remove all anti-foulant paint from the bottom of my boat. I am taking it down to bare glass. Does anyone recommend a product that they have had great luck with?

Thanks
Downrod
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
There are many products on the market to strip paint off, easily found at West Marine, etc. Most work mediocre at best. I would buy some sandpaper and get some buddies over and just do it right. Do you know if you have a Barrier Coat? If you do, you don't want to sand that off unless you plan on re-applying it. Barrier coat is usually good for the life of the boat (to a certain extent). If you are barrier-less now, I highly Recommend it, as well as a co-polymer paint, if speed isn't your #1 concern and fishing is (less prep, multi-season, more time on the water).

You muskie guys leave your boats in late in the season. Barrier is a must, unless you use heated winter storage. Pulling out at the last minute and blockin' her doesn't give the hull time to "dry", if blisters are present.
Make sure you get one especially for fiberglass, if that is what yuor boat is. Because other types can screw up the glass resins long term. Check some automotive type experts too.
One is Corvette Forums
No barrier coat. That is the reason for stripping. I have co-polymer paint on it now. I have done the sanding job on way too many boats now. Just looking to see if there is an easier way. I think the inside of my lungs must be a nice shade of blue:(
I once heard of a product that was used for aircraft applications that was supposed to be awesome but I do not remember the details. I would not use it though unless I was comfortable that it was safe for fiberglass.
My plan is to pull the boat a couple of weeks earlier than usual this fall, get the bottom prepped, then barrier coat next spring

SalmonBum said:
There are many products on the market to strip paint off, easily found at West Marine, etc. Most work mediocre at best. I would buy some sandpaper and get some buddies over and just do it right. Do you know if you have a Barrier Coat? If you do, you don't want to sand that off unless you plan on re-applying it. Barrier coat is usually good for the life of the boat (to a certain extent). If you are barrier-less now, I highly Recommend it, as well as a co-polymer paint, if speed isn't your #1 concern and fishing is (less prep, multi-season, more time on the water).

You muskie guys leave your boats in late in the season. Barrier is a must, unless you use heated winter storage. Pulling out at the last minute and blockin' her doesn't give the hull time to "dry", if blisters are present.
I just read a post on a message board within the last week regarding this, and someone was saying that many people were having problems getting the new barrier coat to adhere to the hull after using stripper. I know its vague, and I cant really remember where I read it. Sorry..
This should be the last time you sand, except every 3rd yr to lightly sand for the new coat. Correct preperation of the Barrier coat is Key. You mess something up there, you mess up the entire operation. Take your time and do it right. Lots of steps involved when I did mine, but the extra time and elbow grease was well worth it.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.