Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody here use a fishing buddy on the ice ? - do they work good ? - which model is best ? - thanks guys !

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Johnny,

I had one for a couple of years. It worked fine. I bought it used at a local marine store for $75. I just clipped it over the edge of my sled and it worked just as well as in open water.
I'm probably getting a Vex this year and I think that will be MUCH better though. :)

Oh yeah, it was a fishin' buddy II

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I have a fishin' buddy II and it works alright. But once I saw the vex in action I was hooked. Worth every penny. I don't have one but someday. The fishin' buddy is at its best on small crafts like canoes and such. I use it a lot on the soft water and have no complaints.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks swamp - does the fishin buddy do what it claims on the ice such as show depth, structure, fish, fish depth, etc.? - i agree about the vex but..... maybe next year

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I have been using a fishing buddy II for many years and bought the 2255 for this year. The fishing buddy II was ok and would even pick up the jig once in a while. The 2255 has a much higher resolution and I am hoping a better transducer and electronics to go with it. For ice fishing I cut a hole in a piece of 2 X 4 large enough for the shaft of the unit to fit through and then mounted the c-clamp mount to it. This works very well to hold the unit. One other benefit, it runs forever on 3 C batteries.

I have seen the Vexilar in action and if you like flashers better and want the detail of watching a fish move up to your jig, this is the only way to go. I just want to know if fish are present and at what depth.

·
Super Moderator
37,497 Posts
The nice thing about a Fishing Buddy is that it will tell you when you are 20' away from all those fish your buddy was talking about. That sidefinder will help you find them when they are holding on very specific spots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts