Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through my musky lure stash and found some big spoons I had bought years ago. I have been thinking about trying to use heavy bottom bouncers (6oz) to troll with them.

Looking for some feedback on this. How long do you think my lead would need to be from BB to spoon? I was thinking 5'-6' but the longest heavy duty leader I can find is 40".

·
Super Moderator
37,816 Posts
I've been thinking about this exact same thing...

Bottom bouncing approach with giant spoons, Bucktails, cranks... In my head its an extremely effective method.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Are you trying to go upstream or down? If you're going down, you'd probably have to go pretty fast to get action out of the spoon. Maybe too fast, I'm not sure? If you're going up, 6oz might not be enough. Just something to think about...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking downstream like we typically do for walleye with harnesses.

·
Super Moderator
37,816 Posts
Going downstream you just go faster SOG but relative to the water (all the fish is probably concerned about) you're going the same speed.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I have caught a few with spoons but not with bber's ....I've used small Cannon & Lurh Jenson downriggers & 8lb balls.....tried bucktails too but have a harder time keeping them on the release and there is no "action" on your rod tip to let you know if you've picked up weeds.....superbraid is a no no too, lol.....have free lined with spoons too.....

have even played with running a Salmon type spoon off the 3rd treble of 10" Believers.....maybe 2 or 3' behind it.....got both Musky and Walleye like that, but nothing big.....Drifter had video of that a few years ago....

I would say just go for it and experiment!.....never know, you might come up with a good technique that nobody is using and will want to keep under your hat :).....

got most on my gold red eye spoon & really like only having one hook to remove !!.....cheers.....

·
Registered
168 Posts
What 50 incher is describing is called a Berger King Rig, 50 incher try Canon extra heavy releases or even use two releases. I caught a 51.5 " musky on Lake of the Woods while trolling a Double Cowgirl with a downrigger, with two releases.

BOB

Attachments

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I've caught quite a few on bottom bounces using a 4oz. I run big willow blades with a fin-s on a bass type hook with about 4' lead. One of the best times is when the mayfly hatch is going on mid river. Be ready to duck when they start jumping near the boat, that bottom bouncer can be a real wake up call when it comes flying around.

·
Super Moderator
37,816 Posts
Jon someone had suggested a dull treble up ahead of the bait. Would this work well or would it cause your lure to come up too high when weeds collect on it?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I did one year, tie up some jumbo rigs, just like our regular Walleye spinners.....only with big Colorado blades & bigger beads etc.....and I was gonna see if I could get a few Musky while everyone else in the boat fished for Walleye.....but the blades were thin cheapies and seemed to wobble more than spin at our reg Walleye speed, seemed like they needed more speed and I only gave it a 1/2 hearted effort....hard to keep playing when everyone else is catching some fresh table fare, lol.....

But !.....I just got some 10" Fin-S baits for experimentation next spring :lol:......now I might have to rig up a smaller blade with a Musky size hook with an extended stinger and retry the idea.....because I do think it's a good one.....

I still play with downriggers every year and will have to try using 2 release's.....thanks....again, I believe trolling big bucktails is under utilized as well.....cheers....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love this when people are putting their heads together to catch fish with different ideas and techniques. Finally after 4 years of restoration my boats going into the water. And it's back to muskie fishing. Can't wait to disect the river and the lower portion of St clair as I've spent most of my time on anchor bay... have any of you guys tried the Buck perry spoon plugging?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I love this when people are putting their heads together to catch fish with different ideas and techniques. Finally after 4 years of restoration my boats going into the water. And it's back to muskie fishing. Can't wait to disect the river and the lower portion of St clair as I've spent most of my time on anchor bay... have any of you guys tried the Buck perry spoon plugging?
I actually snagged a rod & reel yrs ago that had a spoon plug on it ....I have heard of a "spoon plugging" ....."club or group".....from Ohio, that has done well on the D......I do have his book but have not read it to date.....maybe I should ! ?.....cheers.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wanted to try something different about a month ago trolling for Walleye. Decided to use 3-ways with a 3 foot drop and 2 oz bell sinkers. Used Raps and a couple similar Storm lures and ran upstream about 1 mph. Well this sure sucked for Walleye but I caught 2 Musky both about 40 inches, 2 big Pike, and the best of all - a 9.5 lb Steelhead in the D! It fought better than the Muskies. I thought at the time to come back later to actually try this with Musky lures. Now think I will since you reminded me. Fished mid river and not one snag using this from the hospital to the steel mill. Tried to run along the edge of the drop offs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted to try something different about a month ago trolling for Walleye. Decided to use 3-ways with a 3 foot drop and 2 oz bell sinkers. Used Raps and a couple similar Storm lures and ran upstream about 1 mph. Well this sure sucked for Walleye but I caught 2 Musky both about 40 inches, 2 big Pike, and the best of all - a 9.5 lb Steelhead in the D! It fought better than the Muskies. I thought at the time to come back later to actually try this with Musky lures. Now think I will since you reminded me. Fished mid river and not one snag using this from the hospital to the steel mill. Tried to run along the edge of the drop offs.
Thanks for posting. How far back were you running the lures off of the 3-way? Did you feel bottom with the 2oz bell sinker? I bought some 6oz BB on Thursday and just need to get on the water now and try it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did run a couple harnesses too they were the normal 36-42" back. For the lures I tied a 6 foot 8 lb test leader. I was so lucky as the Pike and Musky all got the lures in the lip and did not swallow them and cut the line. With 2 oz I ran them like a BB at at 45 degree angle and could feel them tick the bottom but again was only going 1 mph upstream. For Musky and the bigger lures I would probably use a bit more weight and certainly heavier line for both rod and leader.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Going downstream you just go faster SOG but relative to the water (all the fish is probably concerned about) you're going the same speed.

OK, but the fish are mostly relating to the bottom, which is stationary. In addtion, they are holding and facing into the current, watching for anything that comes along and looks edible.

So, if you're trolling with the current downstream fast enough to get "action" out of a large spoon or spinner, those fish are going to have a very small window of exposure to the bait as it goes by.

The DR and it's resident predators amaze me every time I get to fish it, so I wouldn't be surprised if this technique worked.....try it an report back to all of us.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
37,816 Posts
So, if you're trolling with the current downstream fast enough to get "action" out of a large spoon or spinner, those fish are going to have a very small window of exposure to the bait as it goes by.
They can chase downstream.

Walleye do it, why can't a musky?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
They can chase downstream.

Walleye do it, why can't a musky?
Yep!.....Musky will hit a bait either way, with or into current....I'd say 50/50 %.....and I believe you actually get a better hook up ratio when going with current because the 1st thing they want to do is turn back into the current, just a theory.....and Musky are NOTORIOUS follower's !! :evil:.....cheers......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts