Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder if you let a pal borrow your Muzzle loader.

If for some reason you keep a charge in the gun let them know. A friend of mine has a family member who borrowed a ML and loaded it when it was already loaded!

I’m not sure he has use of the three fingers they reattached.

·
Banned
5,597 Posts
I think I know the anesthesiologist for his operation. Cause I heard about it. Only, I didn't think the fingers got reattached- thought they were basically incinerated. Didn't sound good either way. Was this in Chartucky?

And b. if you do borrow a muzzleloader, I wouldn't trust if it was loaded or not. You should pull the breach plug and make sure the barrel is empty.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have my ram rod marked with Red Tape. If I see red I know there is a load in the barrell. If the red is below the barrell edge then I know it's empty.

Hope it turns out ok...he is lucky it was only his fingers and not his face,eyes and such. Man that sux!

·
Registered
190 Posts
So it exploded because he was pushing down on the other load???

Not sure of this situation but I am going to guess the guy loaded it on top of the other load not knowing that the gun was already loaded and when he went to the range to shoot it (or when he shot at a deer) it blew up on him. I can't imagine it just exploding by loading it on top of the other load...would need a spark to do that (I think).

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ditka,

He loaded the gun and put a cap in it and shot it. He did not know that there was allready a load in it. He was probally pushing 200gr powder with 500gr of sabot. Stacked bullets (aka..Big Mac Bomb)

A recipe for an explosion.:tsk:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ditka,

He loaded the gun and put a cap in it and shot it. He did not know that there was allready a load in it. He was probally pushing 200gr powder with 500gr of sabot. Stacked bullets (aka..Big Mac Bomb)

A recipe for an explosion.:tsk:
Or 300 Gr of powder if he's shooting a Magnum load!

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I feel bad for the guy
as It sounds like he wasn't to up to date on the ML scene.

So I gotta question the fact of
What kinda SOB just loans a gun to someone without covering a few of the BASICS!!!

I believe this accident could have been avoided with just a few minutes of instruction.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I borrowed my buddies Encore barrel this year . We went to the range together and I used all his loading data so I didn't have to work up a new load all on my own . I have wondered what would woulds happen if a ML got a double load . Now I know . Not good. Thanks for the heads up .
Good luck to your friend .

Jward

·
Registered
330 Posts
I hate to pile on but, I always pull my plug and look down the barrel you never know what could have happened while sitting. That goes for any fire arm!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts