Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my soil test recommendations said 2.0 lbs of boron per acre. what is boron and what exactly does it do? thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I saw a trout fisherman and his son fishing river once, looked like he had one of them fancy new rods, 'Is that a boron you got there?' I asked. He looked at his son, then back at me, 'Well he aint too bright that's for sure.'

:lol:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Boron is a micronutrient that works in alfalfa/clover plants to increase the protein content in the leaves. Alfalfa pulls a lot of boron from the soil and soils lacking boron can reduce the quality of the forage quickly as the leaves will fall off the plant sooner and will have a lower protein content. In alfalfa I would rank it up with Lime, P and K in importance.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how would i go about bringing that level up. is boron something you can put down like fertilizer? i'm not very knowledgable about boron. the moron needs help with his boron???

·
Registered
257 Posts
Borax the laundry additive is a source of Boron. I would ask your local coop for a little help. They should be able to give you some guidance. You should be able to apply it with fertilizer. You want to make sure you get the right amount, to much can have a negative affect.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Drum,
boron is usually mixed with the fertilizer and spread that way. I've seen recommendations up to 8# of Boron/acre for high yield hay. too much boron and you have a herbicide. I would make sure my pH, P and K are in line first and then decide if I have enough acres in alfalfa to warrant messing with Boron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts