Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
12,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grab some cotton balls out of the medicine chest. Tear off small pieces and let them float away. You'll be surprised at how many different directions it can take.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I play the hand held Yahtzee game I have shot a lot of bucks while right in the middle of the game. It's my go to good luck charm the bucks seem to come out of nowhere while playing Yahtzee (always works) give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Hang a little bird feeder a half dozen feet away. I never get tired of watching the chickadees and a few of their buddies endlessly coming and going. The deer do not seem to pay any attention at all to the birds, they might even cover a little human movement.

Caveat: Not for rabid anti-baiting folks. The chickadees tend to drop a few seeds and a deer might find them. FM

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hang a little bird feeder a half dozen feet away. I never get tired of watching the chickadees and a few of their buddies endlessly coming and going. The deer do not seem to pay any attention at all to the birds, they might even cover a little human movement.

Caveat: Not for rabid anti-baiting folks. The chickadees tend to drop a few seeds and a deer might find them. FM

Yes this works well. When the deer look your way and think they see something and a bird flys off they just go back to whatever they were doing. If you get a slow time the birds are nice to watch also.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
I used to love watching weasels where I used to hunt in PA. They were non-stop entertainment.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I have wanted to try the bird feeder thing but I’m in the NELP no recreational feeding area and I’m afraid I’d get ticketed....even with thistle or traditional bird seed. Also I can’t leave a bird feeder out at the cabin in the spring and fall without a bear taking it, pretty sure the same thing would happen at my blind. Anything you know of that wouldn’t attract bears or get me busted for “recreational feeding” because as you say....some ends up on the ground.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I have wanted to try the bird feeder thing but I’m in the NELP no recreational feeding area and I’m afraid I’d get ticketed....even with thistle or traditional bird seed. Also I can’t leave a bird feeder out at the cabin in the spring and fall without a bear taking it, pretty sure the same thing would happen at my blind. Anything you know of that wouldn’t attract bears or get me busted for “recreational feeding” because as you say....some ends up on the ground.
Being a firearm hunter I feed the birds only a couple days, sometimes less, before season and stop the last day of my hunt. Chickadees seem to find it almost immediately. If I lean forward in my blind I can touch the makeshift feeder with my rifle barrel.

With a feeder up close and personal and holding only a couple quarts of seed I doubt even the most hardened ticket monger would write paper for fear of his or her colleagues, much less the judge, laughing them out of the courtroom. FM

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've started to bring a really good bird ID book and you will be surprised on how many different species and sub species there are naturally around you. Plus using binocs, you are looking for slight bird movements and a deer's ear turns up now and then too! I need to jump start that again with a ongoing list.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am one who has always enjoyed solitude and I usually don't get bored in the blind. I will often sit for about 11 hours (roughly 6:30 AM to 5:30 PM). In order to to this you have to have a comfortable chair and you have to be warm. I don't like a heated blind but I do use one of these body suits that are kind of like sitting a sleeping bag. To pass the time I try to allow my mind get lost in thought. I think about future hunting, fishing and trapping locations and techniques or future woodworking projects (anything i'm interested in). I also try not to look at my watch!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
When I was first starting in college, someone down the dorm hall came and asked if they could borrow my fishing rod. I knew they were up to no good, but curiosity got the better of me and I let them take it and kept studying for a bit. After a while, I saw that from their second floor dorm room they had emptied out a wallet, tied the end of the line around it and ran it outside to a sidewalk about 50 yards away. Whenever someone reached down to grab the wallet, a quick tug sent it out of their reach. They realized idiots were playing a trick on them, gave a dirty look and left.
What's this got to do with keeping busy in the blind? I get really frustrated with chattering squirrels when I'm deer hunting, and most experienced hunters have at least pondered what a 30-06 round would do to one of these little annoying tree rats (but which of course is illegal and finishes your hunt for the day). I'm thinking it might be time for some ultralight line, scotch tape, and a big, juicy acorn laying on the ground with the line going over a branch or around a tree... ;)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My son and a couple of his buddies did that sort of thing while camping up at Shupac. It was raining so they went chipmunk fishing. You need a bag of jelly beans, a toothpick, and your fishing pole. Set in the trailer take the toothpick and poke a hole thru a jelly bean, tie it to the line and toss it out the door. When the chippy stuffs in his cheek reel him in. He says they had a ball pulling them to the trailer while they fought to keep the bean in their pouch. I'm thinking that could also work from a tree stand.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Long spring traps covered in moss on top of a rotting log always makes for some suspense waiting for a red or pine squirrel to make his way down the log.
SNAP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
844 Posts
years ago i was in the middle of playing a game on my phone and out came a small 6 point. I have been thinking about getting a small pocket card game or something. However these ideas of chipmunk fishing seem rather comical

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
When I had a broken bone in an ankle I would lean against a blown down tree and read a book looking up after reading a page. Got a buck doing this with a bow.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Fishing string with a pile of Acorns and a dead fall, now that would be entertaining!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Yup. Nothing like waiting around coming up with ideas in case there's a zombie squirrel apocalypse!
But we digress...and the hunting guide specifically says not to build pit traps or harass wildlife...:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts