Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Very happy with my Boreas suit so far. I fished Wednesday in high winds and snow, dragging a Shappell flip over with me. Temps were on the high side in the mid to upper 20's. Smartwool thermals top and bottom, pants and a t shirt underneath. I left the bibs and jacket unzipped unless walking directly into the wind. I spend 2 1/2 hours moving snow at the house that night and had to ditch the jacket and put on something lighter.

I've never owned a Clam, Frabill or other ice fishing suit so I can't compare. My guess is they are all pretty similar. I've always layered with an outer windproof/waterfproof shell due to costs, but wanted a float suit due to ice conditions this year. I was sold on the price point and impressed with the product.

Reactions: Smallie12

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Very happy with my Boreas suit so far. I fished Wednesday in high winds and snow, dragging a Shappell flip over with me. Temps were on the high side in the mid to upper 20's. Smartwool thermals top and bottom, pants and a t shirt underneath. I left the bibs and jacket unzipped unless walking directly into the wind. I spend 2 1/2 hours moving snow at the house that night and had to ditch the jacket and put on something lighter.

I've never owned a Clam, Frabill or other ice fishing suit so I can't compare. My guess is they are all pretty similar. I've always layered with an outer windproof/waterfproof shell due to costs, but wanted a float suit due to ice conditions this year. I was sold on the price point and impressed with the product.
I share the same sentiments Lightfoot. I had been wearing old hunting bibs and a team vexilar parka which was the absolute best coat I've ever worn in cold conditions. I got that sucker for $39.99 one day at Northwoods (regular retail is around $120 or so) and still love it and will wear it still but the BOREAS is as good and better with the floatation. Your last sentence is right on and the unmatched warranty is icing on the cake. I have never worn any others either so I'd assume they are on par with one another but I'll take the price and warranty of what I have.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Lightfoot, you should get a commission. I just email them to see if I can setup an appointment to try on the flotation suit. Am in Muskegon & want to definitely know how it will fit, so for me, it is worth the drive.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Lightfoot, you should get a commission. I just email them to see if I can setup an appointment to try on the flotation suit. Am in Muskegon & want to definitely know how it will fit, so for me, it is worth the drive.
Huh, what about my commission, haha? After all, I started all this, lol.

Anyways, I'd recommend it. If you know you want one, you'll come home with one for sure as the gal that helped me was fantastic when I went to the Burton location and tried on mine. The owner of the company is great too and I sent him my review of it. I was out again today, not as windy as yesterday but I didn't even take my shanty and fished for about 5 hours and never zipped up the jacket til the last hour of light and was plenty warm all day. The sizes definitely run small but the bibs length can be shortened up nicely and it stays how you put it and looks as if it was made that length when done. I'm extremely happy thus far. So don't be ashamed to walk out of there with at least one size bigger than you typically wear:)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I ordered a coat and bibs from Ice Runner in Minnesota. It's a float suit and looks good. Checked reviews and youtube. Total with shipping was $189. Due at my house a week after ordering.
Thanks for info.........just ordered myself!!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The suit arrived. Unpacked and inspected. Material, seams,material and insulation were what I was expecting. Excellent workmanship. I'm 6'5 and 240. Bought the XL bib and coat. Good fit , not binding where I usually get it and the shoulder straps have a strap that connects to keep them from falling off the shoulders could have gone 1 size up but used to layering and had a sweatshirt and hoodie on. Inner sleeve hugs the wrist to keep snow and rain out. Pleased so far. Can update after it sees a few days in the elements. Birkenstocks not included. View attachment 621637 View attachment 621639 7
I've been out just about every weekend with it. Some single digit nights and wind. Very pleased. Comfortable, plenty of pockets and easy to walk around, kneel , ride wearing.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I've been out just about every weekend with it. Some single digit nights and wind. Very pleased. Comfortable, plenty of pockets and easy to walk around, kneel , ride wearing.
I really am glad to read your reviews because I placed a second order for my Bride of 37 years after I ordered mine.
We are not loaded with $$ but wanted something "reasonably priced" for early Spring fishing on Erie.
I wasn't looking to buy for her but after reading your review and looking at what I was saving, I decided why not.
Originally she said she wanted only a jacket in Large but they were sold out so I ordered her the XL in both, Joking she said she won't grow into it......LOL
Mine is in transit and will post reviews after i receive.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ordered a suit Wednesday morning and it was on my door step Thursday afternoon with free shipping. Can't wait to try it out after reading all these reviews

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I ordered a suit Wednesday morning and it was on my door step Thursday afternoon with free shipping. Can't wait to try it out after reading all these reviews
Which one, Ice Runner or BOREAS by WindRider?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I really am glad to read your reviews because I placed a second order for my Bride of 37 years after I ordered mine.
We are not loaded with $$ but wanted something "reasonably priced" for early Spring fishing on Erie.
I wasn't looking to buy for her but after reading your review and looking at what I was saving, I decided why not.
Originally she said she wanted only a jacket in Large but they were sold out so I ordered her the XL in both, Joking she said she won't grow into it......LOL
Mine is in transit and will post reviews after i receive.
Thanks again!
Got ours Yesterday, LOVE them so far . I had a section of the driveway that still needed to be cleared so I suited up and fired up the blower. Under the suit I only had a pair of Jeans and a sweatshirt, not cold at all!!
Wife was on the shovel and neither sweated or were cold.
I must add I'm 6'0, #230 so ordered 2x for both. Perfect sizing IMO.
Wife's XL's worked out great also but under jacket she had 2 undershirts and a sweatshirt and was able to flex while being comfy.
After jobs were completed, we stood in Garage and had a beverage and even while not moving we stayed comfortable.
Our total cost (Shipped) was around $430 and I'm so happy I found this ICE RUNNER product.
Thank you for sharing....they have me hooked!!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Boreas by wind rider and I live in Grand Rapids
You get to use it yet? I've been in mine 4 times now and I'm loving it for sure. I was out Saturday morning in that brutal wind and was more than warm enough. Wearing the jacket is actually a little too warm when hauling and setting up but works great if you can sit outside. I've knelt in an inch of water and never got wet and actually pants stayed dry because of the super padded knees and material that is on the exterior. Seemed bulky at first but it is breaking down nicely at this point just as the owner said it would. I've got by with very few layers underneath too which is nice. Good luck and give us a review when you get a chance.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts