Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
Spread is overrated, as they say. But at the same time, it is a major characteristic of a rack.
True, an 18” spread rack is big, a 22” is huge, but it only gives you 4” more to the final score.

1” of additional length on a 10 pt rack is hardly noticeable, but it gives you 10” more inches to the final score (disregarding deductions).

Tine length is where it’s at.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
No, I didn’t say that, I said abnormals, meaning abnormal points, are added back, not side to side differences.

Inside spread isn’t a god given antler measurement, but it’s added in the score. I’m a measurer and I’d say in 90% plus of the antlers I measure inside spread exceeds side to side deductions, so the overall score in the end benefits more than if antlers alone were measured.
while it’s true there are deductions for both typical and non typical whitetails, the abnormals are added back to the final score for non typicals.
You're conflating. You admit there are deductions.

Whether abnormals are added back, whether they include the inside spread, they are penalizing what god grew for the slightest lack of symmetry down to 1/8".

I think that was his point.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Trail cameras are a fantastic technology which as many know can become downright addicting. The countless wildlife pictures, not just deer, collected has been extremely rewarding. I think the B&C policy is misguided but I might add, last season I restrained entirely from trail cam use to measure possible negative impact on deer movement. Boy, was that a difficult plan to follow. But the results were, this past hunting season I seen more "shooter" bucks in my woods than ever before. Something for me to think about until later in the year but I really don't get the argument of unfair chase on this one.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Trail cameras are a fantastic technology which as many know can become downright addicting. The countless wildlife pictures, not just deer, collected has been extremely rewarding. I think the B&C policy is misguided but I might add, last season I restrained entirely from trail cam use to measure possible negative impact on deer movement. Boy, was that a difficult plan to follow. But the results were, this past hunting season I seen more "shooter" bucks in my woods than ever before. Something for me to think about until later in the year but I really don't get the argument of unfair chase on this one.
I believe regular cams are still allowed, just not cell.
I hung some cams higher this year to be out of line of sight. Might have helped, but what a pia to swap cards. Won't be doing that again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Inside spread isn’t a god given antler measurement, but it’s added in the score. I’m a measurer and I’d say in 90% plus of the antlers I measure inside spread exceeds side to side deductions, so the overall score in the end benefits more than if antlers alone were measured.
So is that how you explain it to people's antlers you are measuring? LOL

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
It's the fact that they allow Baiting and deer drives but don't allow cell cameras that makes me lose their reasoning. If someone is shooting an animal based on the states regulations then it should be allowed into the books.

The new rifles are way more accurate than a 1950s weapon, archery equipment has gone off the charts, binoculars and spotting scopes have come a long way. Where and when do they draw the line? Are they not into an ethical kill like a scope/rangefinder provides? Should we all go back to chucking spears?

I also have chased a B&C buck each of the last 3 years but I wouldn't know it unless I had cell cameras.
It's always hard to piecemeal or parse what's fair chase and what isn't. Even harder when your standard, like those in question, are arbitrary and extra-legal.

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
So is that how you explain it to people's antlers you are measuring? LOL
I didn’t bring up the term,”god given”, someone else did.

I explain the scoring system the way it’s done. No sense in arguing about it because it’s
not going to change. If you disagree with it, don’t measure your antlers, or use Buckmaster, or SCI.

·
Premium Member
7,959 Posts
I am so perplexed by all of this, Booners run rampant here but I love seeing my trailcamera pictures too.
What will I ever do...:unsure:

Nothing...because it will never happen to me or 99% of the rest of us here.
So.... Don’t Worry.....Be Happy.... :whistle1::whistle1:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I believe regular cams are still allowed, just not cell.
I hung some cams higher this year to be out of line of sight. Might have helped, but what a pia to swap cards. Won't be doing that again.
That makes a little more sense (cell cams only). Mine had been mounted up high, as in get the ladder out, to minimize detection from deer and possible theft. And that does make it a pain for sure..

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying, but where should the line be drawn? Should we allow drones with a firearm that can be fired remotely? Silly maybe, but you know someone would create such a weapon if they could and it wasn’t banned.

One of the things B&C has always demanded is an animal be harvested by fair chase methods and you must sign a statement to that effect when you apply for entry of an animal.

They’re in the unenviable position of being damned if they do, damned if they don’t.
Sky Plant Hat Light Azure

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh FFS! What? Are we supposed to live in prehistoric times? Your hunting won't be considered acceptable unless you carved your bow out of osage by hand with a flint knife you chipped yourself??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh FFS! What? Are we supposed to live in prehistoric times? Your hunting won't be considered acceptable unless you carved your bow out of osage by hand with a flint knife you chipped yourself??
It is a tad ironic that an organization that supports about the least 'natural' approach to hunting for food (going after primarily the most 'dominant animal' in a herd is about the least nature-friendly approach to any kind of environmental interaction) is preaching about 'ethical' hunting practices.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In my opinion, B&C and P&Y are their own worst enemies and will become less and less relevant as the years go on. P&Y has fought and lost against many advancements in archery. Currently, compound bows are becoming less and less popular every year with crossbows taking over in most states. Electronic advancements are inevitable yet they resist change. Hunters will take the easy route most of the time. That is human nature. Because hunter numbers are either stagnant or declining in many states, those agencies will allow those "easy buttons" with the excuse of retaining and attracting hunters being their justification. Those agencies also like money, so if a decision helps their bottom line, you can bet they will be all for it. I'm guessing that entries are dropping in both organizations and I'm also guessing that that trend will continue.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts