Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

161 - 180 of 308 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
Was excited to go, wanted to go, planned on going. Got drunk AF last night at a Halloween party. Got up to my alarm, almost fell over trying to shut it off, crawled back in bed and slept til 10 when my wife woke me up to wrestle. Wasn’t a total loss I guess.
Did you put her in the step over toe hold and win by submission

·
Registered
205 Posts
Spooked a Doe across the field walking in, then saw another around 9:30 this morning. Checked my camera and there is a stray dog that’s been hanging around for a couple up weeks now, that’s not helping the situation. Saw him in my field 2 weeks ago but would not come to me, ran over to the neighbors property. I don’t think he’s chasing deer, thing looks pretty skinny and no collar.
71C21D5D-AB56-4C6E-BE31-F958FF00EC07.jpeg
99D813EF-D0A3-4D0E-9EBB-4F6C89FBD80E.jpeg

·
Registered
18,759 Posts
You can see the first section is standing through the trees here. They should be putting together the rest of it sometime in the next few days. Our morning deer sightings have been brutal here this year. I’m assuming it’s because of all the traffic running through here. Nothing yet this morning either. Normally this property is loaded with deer. View attachment 595893

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
The exact reason I told the cell company NO to putting a tower on my property. They wanted to start construction in October. The guy thought I lost my mind when I told him he couldn't pay me enough to give up my deer season for his tower. He told me there will always be next year to hunt and I told him at 70 years old that isn't a guarantee.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This guy came within 30 yds, I am in another stand 80 yds away and my tactacam goes off at 815. Was like no way!!! I turn around quickly and look out in the beans, I call to him and he comes on a string, stupid wind was completely incorrectly forecasted. He never ran off, he just walked off so hopefully he will return. Really big! 10 point, easily 20 inside. Huge body. He made a fresh scrape and pissed in it, ground was wet when I left . Fun hunt
Screenshot_20201031-133707.png

·
Registered
18,759 Posts
My first Halloween buck!

This one and another 4pt came through about an hour after the first 4pt. They came from behind me and worked to my right side. I had to draw and then turn to get prepared for the shot. He came right at me to about 10yds before turning and walking away giving me a good quartering away shot. He hit an opening and I let it fly, watched it hit and could see the lighted nock bury just behind the shoulder, blood was gushing as he ran off. Waited about a half hour to get downed begin tracking, was pretty confident. Blood trail with the Rage was a red carpet, literally followed it at my normal walking pace to where he was in a small creek at the bottom of the hill. Super happy with this 10pt, may have some trail cam pics of him, will have to look at the cell cam card soon for full res pics.

View attachment 595971
View attachment 595973
View attachment 595975
View attachment 595977
Way to go! Congrats

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Deer are ALWAYS active during the first few hours of daylight, especially during this time of year.
Wow, always? Big statement. I guess I'll disregard the many times I've witnessed bucks bedded at daylight this time of year. The majority of my property is bedding, so probably my confirmation bias, lol.

·
Registered
18,221 Posts
Just in from watching a doe browse chokecherry leaves in the back yard.
Bulldog finally spotted her when I quit petting him to distract his attention , and sounded off.

Reactions: jr28schalm

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hunted this morning till 1pm, 1 spike and a doe absolutely beautiful morning no movement in sanilac on my farm going in to the thick stuff right now to sit till dark good luck and congratulations to all successful today

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
Great deer. Congratulations

Reactions: gunfun13

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Wow, always? Big statement. I guess I'll disregard the many times I've witnessed bucks bedded at daylight this time of year. The majority of my property is bedding, so probably my confirmation bias, lol.
How many times do you observe bucks bedded at first light and remain bedded the ENTIRE first two full hours of the day at this point in the year?

Confirmation bias isn't a theory. It's the explanation for why hunter's cling to so many old wives tales regarding moon, wind, etc. Just read through today's thread - all sorts of people seeing lots of activity, including you seeing two 3.5 year old bucks. Yet there were no shortage of posts of people who weren't seeing much personally, with the accompanying explanation of the "deer weren't moving."

You can take it to the bank - whenever hunters don't see what they expect to see, most will invent an explanation related to temperature, pressure, wind, moon, barometer, etc. Once it happens a few times, the explanation becomes a "fact" about deer behavior.

161 - 180 of 308 Posts