Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

281 - 300 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Hunted a new stand tonight on some public land in Oakland County.

To the apparent unlucky archer, the face shot never works.

Looks like this guy crossed paths with someone else within the last 24-48hrs. WTH?

He presented me with a 12 yard quartering toward shot and made it 40-50 before going down.
Screenshot_20201031-235607.jpeg
Screenshot_20201031-235625.jpeg
Screenshot_20201031-235644.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Was excited to have hunts 9 and 10 of my season to be on Halloween!
Well first 2 hunts of my season i never saw a single deer.
Dont want to get in a huge debate but this is usually how my morning hunts go during a full moon.
My evening hunt was in a spot i havent been in since last season,wind was crazy sat in a dead fall on an oak ridge and never saw a deer.
Been a great season so far lots of buck sightings.passed a decent 8pt and had a close encounter with big 9pt but boy today i definitely got tricked..
Probably wont hunt sunday.
Nice job on the bucks today guys!
Had a couple buddies score today and a few with same sad tale as mine.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts

Looks like this guy crossed paths with someone else within the last 24-48hrs. WTH?

He presented me with a 12 yard quartering toward shot and made it 40-50 before going down. View attachment 596303 View attachment 596317 View attachment 596321
Great buck. Would be really surprised if thst was a hunter inflicted wound. Looks like a flesh wound from fighting

·
Registered
981 Posts
The wound was definitely caused by a 3 blade broadhead. His tongue and lower jaw are cut from the exit.
My first thought was fighting as well, but a quick zoom on the picture and there is no doubt that is from a broadhead. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Good job, nice buck!

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I should have let the ground shrinkage hit before I posted the trail cam pics. He shot a 2.5 year old 8 that I took video of and posted in a live from the stand earlier this year. Still a great deer for someone getting into hunting.

View attachment 596131
Why downplay such a great deer. I've been hunting 26 years and that would be considered a "great" deer for me.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts

Thanks for putting him down with a quick kill. The shot to the nasal area would have likely ended in a slow painful death due to starvation or infection.

He presented me with a 12 yard quartering toward shot and made it 40-50 before going down. View attachment 596303 View attachment 596317 View attachment 596321

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Why downplay such a great deer. I've been hunting 26 years and that would be considered a "great" deer for me.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
Its been my experience that as many hunters progress they often target older animals. We hunt in an area where there is a coordinated effort to grow bucks closer to maturity. Im a firm believer in shooting whatever makes you happy, but in our area with as many 2.5 year old bucks running around as there are, its not going to make a hunter happy for too long when they tag out in mid October on 2.5 year old deer ever year. So my implication that he may progress beyond targeting 2.5 year old deer isn't minimizing his accomplishment. Its based on my observations of many in this sport in the same area. Heaven forbid people have differing opinions.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
How many times do you observe bucks bedded at first light and remain bedded the ENTIRE first two full hours of the day at this point in the year?

Confirmation bias isn't a theory. It's the explanation for why hunter's cling to so many old wives tales regarding moon, wind, etc. Just read through today's thread - all sorts of people seeing lots of activity, including you seeing two 3.5 year old bucks. Yet there were no shortage of posts of people who weren't seeing much personally, with the accompanying explanation of the "deer weren't moving."

You can take it to the bank - whenever hunters don't see what they expect to see, most will invent an explanation related to temperature, pressure, wind, moon, barometer, etc. Once it happens a few times, the explanation becomes a "fact" about deer behavior.
You're a dick. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Its been my experience that as many hunters progress they often target older animals. We hunt in an area where there is a coordinated effort to grow bucks closer to maturity. Im a firm believer in shooting whatever makes you happy, but in our area with as many 2.5 year old bucks running around as there are, its not going to make a hunter happy for too long when they tag out in mid October on 2.5 year old deer ever year. So my implication that he may progress beyond targeting 2.5 year old deer isn't minimizing his accomplishment. Its based on my observations of many in this sport in the same area. Heaven forbid people have differing opinions.
And to add to that if it’s his property or his lease he let his buddy hunt on and he practices good QDMA and shoots nothing under 3.5 years old or better then that’s his rule don’t get me wrong I’d slap joe Biden for that deer but honestly would slap him for a lot less but all kidding aside great deer but rules of his land are rules and you don’t know what else he has on that property so why pick on the guy I’ve seen plenty of deer that size pictures on here that guys call to young or say maybe next year and nobody harassed them

281 - 300 of 308 Posts