Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping some of you seasoned trappers would clarify this.

I've seen a few post from people new to or interested in trapping regarding "boiling traps". My question is: You don't actually boil them do you?
I've been under the impression that boiling can weaken the springs and therefore, they should be simmered not boiled. Or, is there an advantage to boiling? Maybe, scent control?

Any insight would be appreciated by many, I'm sure. Thanks, JJ:)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Jodi,

I actually boil my traps. I like the rolling, turbulent water for cleaning action.

I'm not a metallurgist, but I doubt that 212F will have much, if any effect on spring-steel alloys.

Maybe Mallard can help with that technical info.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Boiling traps will not do any damage to the springs.

However, make sure you don't go away and leave the traps unattended, because if all the water boils away, then the springs will lose their temper and be worthless.

Over the years this only happened to me once, but replacing the springs on two dozen #2 coilspring traps was the price I had to pay for learning this lesson. :mad:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I suspected that may be the case, however, when I started trapping a couple years ago I was told NOT to boil them. Seems that boiling them would clean more grime from the traps and somewhat "sterilize" them better than simmering.

I guess I can spend less time babysitting the fire and concentrate more on tweaking traps. Heck, at that rate, I might actually be ready before the season starts this fall.:D JJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts