Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you do with your ashes? A lot of people say to spread them in your yard, but I have a TON of ashes and micro charcoal bits that turn to clay like mud when they get wet.

Any ideas on disposal would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We did ‘accidentally’ do the bed of the truck with some sawdust and shavings after felling some trees for a lady. Never thought about the ashes. Haha

The previous owner of the house we have had a mound of ashes in the tree line and they’re still there. He claims it started piling up in 2011! It’s not a pretty sight and I am accumulating more as I type this!

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
We did ‘accidentally’ do the bed of the truck with some sawdust and shavings after felling some trees for a lady. Never thought about the ashes. Haha

The previous owner of the house we have had a mound of ashes in the tree line and they’re still there. He claims it started piling up in 2011! It’s not a pretty sight and I am accumulating more as I type this!

Once they get wet they are hard to deal with. Much easier to disperse when dry.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have been throwing ashes in the trash. I get about a bushel a week. Early on I put them in the garden but I think I put too much down and my plants started to yellow in the spots where I had put down then most.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
It should be dispersed dry. Throw it with the wind not into it. Free pot ash, either in garden or yard but lightly not dumped. In the winter with snow on the ground shows the density. In the garden is useful but do not dump or pile, spread and spread evenly as possible.

You would not dump your fertilizer, would you?

If you can easily get to your food plot in the winter, the ash can be very useful in soil improvement, especially if you have sand. Sand continually leeches through and away minerals so the ash will help hold minerals put out a smidge longer. If you ever see plants falling down, and not staying upright, majority of the time it is do to the lack of pot ash.

Why do you think fields are controlled burned before planting?

·
Registered
37,423 Posts
Is ash an acidic soil neutralizer by chance? I want to clear out a bunch of pines in the back but I know pines make the soil acidic. Our soil is extremely sandy.
Wood ash is a strong alkaline and will raise your ph. For best results work it into the top layer of soil.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Is ash an acidic soil neutralizer by chance? I want to clear out a bunch of pines in the back but I know pines make the soil acidic. Our soil is extremely sandy.
Before spreading and working into soil. Use a york rake and remove majority of needles. No sense leaving acidic needles on or in the soil if you can help it. I would use pelletized lime as well, it breaks down quicker than powdered lime. Bad thing it leeches or leaves the soil sooner. 3 yrs for pelletized lime 5 years for powdered lime, in sand could be sooner.

Best of luck on that new plot.

I had some pines in a field I put into alfalfa/red clover. The pines because of concern of creasote build up in flue, I piled high and burned them. Used loader deposited some ash in low areas. Those areas along with the area of burn pile continues to be better areas than the surrounding areas. It is clay not sand. So years since I down trees for deer, (winter forage). I pile many of the tops in food plots and burn them in mid March. No buds left, they are stripped clean by then anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts