Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was hunting in new lothrop to day and i came across a new track. it looked like a huge cat track. it was 2.5 to 3 inches across. is there many bobcats around my area? is this a bobcat?hope this pic works.

·
Registered
420 Posts
OK, this is what I read in a magazine,,,,If you take the space between the outside toes and draw lines thru them so that they cross, if it crosses in front of the pad it's canine, if it crosses in the pad it's feline. I can't tell from the picture

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I doubt it is a bobcat in New Lothrup. I live next door to you in Montrose, but you just never know. There are a few badger around though. I trapped one on the last day of the season last year, which was the night of that big snow storm last March.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input. this is at my grandpas old farm. my dad said years ago they used to hear the cats screaming tward night and see lots of tracks from them. so i guess it is possible that there may be one or two still around. do they live in tree holes or underground tho?

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
varminthunter,

It would not surprise me if there were bobcats in your area.

But off hand this track does not strike me as being a bobcat track, because I don't see the pronounced mark of the center pad, that is characteristic of a bobcat foot print.

Were the series of tracks in a relatively straight line or somewhat staggered? A bobcat leaves a trail of foot prints that are almost in a straight line, like a fox or coyote.

It might be possible that it is a badger, if the tracks were fairly close together and somewhat staggered.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
varminthunter,

Here is a photo of a front foot of bobcat.

Note the large center pad, which has a very unique shape, much different from the pad on a coyote.

The length and width of this front paw is about 2 1/4 ". So I am guessing that a circular paw print of this bobcat would most likely be no more than 2 1/2 " in diameter.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that looks just like that pic i posted. im pretty sure it was a bobcat. i know coyote tracks and this was diff.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
varminthunter,

You are the best one to answer this question and if you say it was a bobcat track then I believe you.

Like crittergetter has posted, the main pad on a feline is behind a line drawn between the pads of the two outside toes.

Your photo sure seems to meet this criteria, IMO.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I don't think that the picture you posted was one made from a bobcat. Although it is possible for a cat to be in this area. I know of a few cats that were caught in the Kawkalin area not to long ago (released btw). The track looks more like badger to me. If you look at the toes they are almost in a straight line across the top. The claw marks can easily disappear in the snow that we have on the ground now. A truer indication would be the gate of the animal, but since we only have the one track to go by that would be my guess.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts