Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Boats been delayed:(

2066 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Robert88
Hey everyone. I ordered my boat back in August of 2020, it was supposed to be delivered December but it has been postponed to May or June due to the world's pandemic "FML".

I wondering what is the lastest you've jigged the Detroit River for WALLEYE? I was really excited to do it on the new boat, and now even worrying about being able to catch them really good on Lake Eire. Thanks so much to responding. I'm probably thinking to much about it.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
You can jig them all soft water season. Sucks you won't have it for the main event but take the opportunity to explore.
Reactions: Chad Fortier
Sucks about the delay, Man! But still exciting to have a new boat coming! May can be very good on the DR yet. But if I were you, I would be taking that new boat up to the SCR for the month of June if you enjoy the river fishing. Some of the best walleye fishing Michigan has to offer. You can jig if you want, but just drag crawler harnesses slowly down stream with 2-3oz bottom bouncers and catch a ton of fish. Great way to break in a new boat on beautiful water.
That!

And a perfect place for a motor break-in! Cruise Anchor Bay, the cuts and all of the Channels. Way better than dodging traffic on the D! Hell I’d even launch at Harley and take the long way, maybe even up the Middle....
Sucks about the delay, Man! But still exciting to have a new boat coming! May can be very good on the DR yet. But if I were you, I would be taking that new boat up to the SCR for the month of June if you enjoy the river fishing. Some of the best walleye fishing Michigan has to offer. You can jig if you want, but just drag crawler harnesses slowly down stream with 2-3oz bottom bouncers and catch a ton of fish. Great way to break in a new boat on beautiful water.
I saw your post about this in other forums. I know the feeling of waiting and loosing part of the season. I had to repower last season and lost the second half of the season. What a bummer, but there are plenty of opportunities after you get your boat. My buddy and I regularly back troll the river up through July catching limits. Depending on your new boat, I would recommend reading up on trolling or running out to turtle Island for some blade bait fishing.
Most likely your boat is delayed due to the engine at this point. Last fall some of the engine manufacturers were quoting 12 month lead times for new orders. Now with the global shortage for semiconductor chips causing temporary production shutdowns for everything from household electronics to cars and trucks, I’m sure it’s hitting the outboard manufacturers as well.

Maybe talking to the dealer to see if there are any options for switching to a different engine could move up the delivery. Or even finding another dealer with the engine you want sitting in the show room could be another source. Last fall a friend of mine bought a new boat that the dealers had sold the motor to someone else a month earlier because the boat wasn’t moving. When my friend wanted to then buy the boat and needed an engine, the dealer looked all around the country and found one at another dealership and had on the boat in a couple weeks.
How many of your bucks do they have??
Hey everyone. I ordered my boat back in August of 2020, it was supposed to be delivered December but it has been postponed to May or June due to the world's pandemic "FML".

I wondering what is the lastest you've jigged the Detroit River for WALLEYE? I was really excited to do it on the new boat, and now even worrying about being able to catch them really good on Lake Eire. Thanks so much to responding. I'm probably thinking to much about it.
Well to kick things off to a some what of a bad start... I'm in Canada, so border crossing is already a problem. The manufacturer has a shortage of multiple parts due to "covid shut down" (part of what I'm told) and yes engine powering was mentioned to me but I still want my Yamaha no matter how long the wait. The boat is being all put together with everything I ordered it with from factory (StarCraft Freedom SC 180 Yamaha F90) the only thing the dealer has to installing is the Bimini top and a few electronics. Starcraft is far behind on orders, I guess the 2020 year was just crazy for orders. Off topic but I also bought a new Yamaha jetski for my wife and kids, and we don't have that yet either. Bought/ordered it in September October 2020, with "early spring delivery" guaranteed. I've been told that's on track. Also been told that no one is accepting anymore orders for jetskis. I'm not whining about either boat or jetski, I'm just kinda pissed at no one really that I'll miss out. I sold my boat in June of 2020 ordered new boat August of 2020 and now miss pretty much half of the time I get to use the boat the first year I get it. I am also a duck hunter So i guess I won't miss any of that. So as explained I feel like I have missed one whole season the end of last year and not being able to hunt at all on water and lossing the coolest jig fishing ever lol. RANT OVER.
They have as it stands right now 4000$ of my money inside the dealer now. Since August.
Well I'll say September because I did also put some $ down on the jetski bit not much.
How many of your bucks do they have??
Don’t be afraid to ask the dealer to use a loaner boat a few times as you wait. Often times they will have something that could be used from a used boat trade in to something new that they use as a demo. A few years back on a vacation at a fish camp on the St Mary’s River, a dealer employee had a brand new unregistered bassboat he was using for a week. Sometimes those boats get used before they are sold.
He offered me a 14' Jon boat with a 9.9 Yamaha on it. I said if that's what you'll give me I'll just use my canoe. Then I told him strap that 9.9 on the back of my boat for waiting so long and being patient with you guys. He said I'll see what we can do for you.
Don’t be afraid to ask the dealer to use a loaner boat a few times as you wait. Often times they will have something that could be used from a used boat trade in to something new that they use as a demo. A few years back on a vacation at a fish camp on the St Mary’s River, a dealer employee had a brand new unregistered bassboat he was using for a week. Sometimes those boats get used before they are sold.
Update.

This morning the dealership where I purchased the boat called me and they have been told a build date from the manufacturer. May 12.

Said topically takes 10 business day from start to finish. To complete the boat build and then ship it out.

2-5 days for delivery to dealership. So I'm expecting the boat to be within my line of sight by.... May 29.

What's your thoughts going by this information?
Reactions: FishManDan
Drag them downstream?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.