Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just purchased a new sonar unit, and I can't wait to use it, but I dread mounting it. I'm quite meticulous and neurotic when it comes to drilling holes in my boat. I hate to make holes in my boat, plus I have to go over every possible setup combination in my head before I do it. By the time I'm finished, a 2 hour job has taken me a half day or more :rant:

So on such a gorgeous weekend, I have to spend my free time in the garage when I should be on the river!! aargh!

The million dollar question - Why the hell didn't I decide to buy this thing over the winter???

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Rocky,

Sounds like a job you can do this evening. Sonar units are not that tough to mount. Which one did you buy-and why? I'm thinking of getting one.

Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KI Jim said:
Rocky,

Sounds like a job you can do this evening. Sonar units are not that tough to mount. Which one did you buy-and why? I'm thinking of getting one.

Jim
They're a bit more involved than I expected. Dismounting the old one (transducer and wiring), and mounting the new one (transducer, speed sensor, and graph). I'm not a very "handy" guy, I still have women's tools hehe, plus everything I do MUST be close to perfect!

Anyhow, I purchased an Eagle Fishmark 480 with speed and temp for $250 out the door at Cabelas. Most of the seasoned fishermen I know say that choosing the brand is kinda like choosing the color of your underware. Lowrance is one of the best, but they're all pretty good. I wanted to stay around $200-250, and speed & temp were a must have. The Lowrance I could get for that price had half the pixels, and bells & whistles that the Eagle had. Plus Eagle is made by Lowrance-but more affordable. I bought this to replace a Humminbird from 1998 (it came with the boat and was nothing special) so I'm excited about it. No color or GPS or anything-I only have a 14.5 ft deep v that cost me $4500 so I can't justify putting a $500+ sonar on it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Before you decide to drill holes; compare the new transducer to the old one. It may fit the existing bracket; which will make for a much shorter job.

Dan:fish:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Rocky..............take your time and dont rush, its going to be blowing like crazy tomorrow, so you wont miss much. Enjoy the day, and the installation.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just finished installing a Lowrance 522 in my boat. Watch out for the required hole for running your sonor and power chord to the base. Mine required a 1" hole, the manual says to push the bracket back against the chords as far as possible then seal the hole. This wasnt possible with my unit due to the previous system and the old holes. I highly reccomend a paper template, some tape, and even try duct taping the base to the helm just to see how everything is going to fit BEFORE drilling holes.

Matt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
onedrummer2002 said:
I highly reccomend a paper template, some tape, and even try duct taping the base to the helm just to see how everything is going to fit BEFORE drilling holes.

Matt
Duely noted! It says to do something like this in the instruction booklet (yes I read it last night, while on the crapper of course). With my luck, I doubt any old mounting holes will jive with my new setup, but we'll see ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can use 3M 5200 to secure a cutting board type material to your boat, than attach the tranducer to that. The only hole will be for the wires. They sell these a Cabeas or you can make your own.

Scott

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
b4 u drill fill the old holes alumiun or glass and spend 12 bucks and buy the plastic transducer mount u drill 2 holes in ur boat and ur done for evermake sure u use belower the water line caulk for the 2 holes u drill...Good Luck out there ...Mark

·
Registered
721 Posts
sraedel said:
You can use 3M 5200 to secure a cutting board type material to your boat, than attach the tranducer to that. The only hole will be for the wires. They sell these a Cabeas or you can make your own.

Scott
:yeahthat:

I just put a new Garmin 545s on my boat a couple weeks ago. The mounting board was a breeze to install and only takes two holes. Any future upgrades in electronics will not mean new holes in the transom.

BTW, my old Lowrance M68c is for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's done. I opted not to buy the mounting plate. I only had to drill a few holes, I re-used a couple of them. It took me about 6 hours yesterday-not too bad.

The biggest pain in the butt was removing the old unit. I couldn't freakin' believe how thoughtlessly is was installed. There was no way they could have fished the wires through the small holes they had. It must have been installed while it was half built or something because I couldn't fish the wires through the holes without cutting the wire. The wires were hidden within the paneling of the boat, which was riveted to the hull. I tried to force the battery wire through but I broke the plug right off the end :rant: So much for taking the old unit and putting it up front ... whatever, it was old anyhow-not a big deal.

Installation of the new one was quite smooth. The only problem with that was they didn't provide some screws, so I had to make a quick run to Home Depot (which I expected would happen at some point anyhow). But I mapped everything out before drilling and such, and I don't think I could have done it any better. It looks clean, and professional-I covered all bases (no cheating ;) And it seems to be working just fine.

Haven't tried it on the water yet, but I plan on going out tomorrow. I did read the manual thouroughly. So far, it seems like Eagle/Lowrqance makes a pretty damn good product. It's a huge bonus for me to have temp and speed now, I'm looking forward to tracking my speed when I'm trolling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts