Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3000# fiberglass boat on a bunk trailer that gives my back trouble everytime I winch it on the trailer. I've had two lower back surgeries and not looking forward to a third! I have a smaller 1200 # hand winch on the trailer and was considering upgrading to a heavier two speed winch or possibly going to electric. Electric would be nice but would restrict me to always using my truck to pull the boat instead of letting some buddies take turns towing with their trucks when we go. If a 2 speed hand type would make a big difference then that would be cheaper and keep towing options open. If that wouldn't make a big difference then I would want to go electric. Appreciate all the input of those with all the years of experience! Brands of winches, # ratings, rigging power, etc all appreciated.

·
Premium Member
29,829 Posts
Not sure on types of winches, but if your buddies are hauling it for you,have them do the winching:D:lol: I've found the easiest with loading bunks is to get trailer far enough in water to get the bow eyebolt right where it needs to be so you don't have to winch along the bunks. Get a pair of slip on knee high waterproof boots to throw in back of truck, then you can just walk in water and not have to do the trailere tightrope act;) Good luck.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Chuck, You could mount a dedicated battery on the trailer tongue for the winch. This would keep you flexible as far as tow vehicles are concerned. Just plug it into a battery maintainer when you return home.

I bought one of these B&D battery maintainer at Home Depot. They come with three different accessories to hook up. I just use it as shown to hook to one of my down-rigger electrical cables, but that is a different story.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...tedSearch=Black and Decker Battery Maintainer

·
Premium Member
29,829 Posts
Chuck, You could mount a dedicated battery on the trailer tongue for the winch. This would keep you flexible as far as tow vehicles are concerned. Just plug it into a battery maintainer when you return home.

I bought one of these B&D battery maintainer at Home Depot. They come with three different accessories to hook up. I just use it as shown to hook to one of my down-rigger electrical cables, but that is a different story.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...tedSearch=Black and Decker Battery Maintainer
Hey Frank, if you mount a battery to trailer, you could also have it set up to charge from tow vehicle like a truck camper battery set up;) I believe you'd need the 7 prong set up, and don't think if you have an adapter, that the 4 wire will charge it. It makes things easier if you have a large boat, thats for sure.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Hey Frank, if you mount a battery to trailer, you could also have it set up to charge from tow vehicle like a truck camper battery set up;) I believe you'd need the 7 prong set up, and don't think if you have an adapter, that the 4 wire will charge it. It makes things easier if you have a large boat, thats for sure.
I'm sure Chuck's truck does have the large trailer plug. It's a fairly new Dodge Diesel. I was suggesting the maintainer for times it was pulled with another vehicle or when it was stored for more than a few days.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts