Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Boat swamped?

11649 Views 87 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  sparky18181
I heard something about a boat being swamped today in the DR? Anybody hear anything?
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Up near Mud and the steel mill. 14 foot alum. Guys were in the water and hear somehad feet tangled in lines. Not sure if that was fishing lines or boat lines. All people were guickly pulled out if the water from nearby fishermen. The boat was towed in by them as well.

Talk was a wake upset said boat. Not clear if it was a wake from another fisherman or a freighter. Lots of assumptions on FB. All involved are safe and ok.
Sounds familiar. Happened what... 2 yrs ago?
Up bear Mud and the steel mill. 14 foot alum. Guy were in the water and hear somebhad feet tangled in lines. Not sure if that was fushing.lines or boat lines. All people were guickly pulled out if the water from nearby fishermen. The boat was towed in by them as well.

Talk was a boat wake upset said boat. Not clear if it was a wake from another fisherman or a freighter. Lots of assumptions on FB. All involved are safe and ok.
I meant a similar event. Another 12 or 14' aluminum boat. Last one was blue?
Way too small for the river, jmo.glad every one is okay.
Yep, about exactly 2 years from today right in the same area near Mud. Buddy and I were involved in that one. 14 ft blue fin if I remember right.
I meant a similar event. Another 12 or 14' aluminum boat. Last one was blue?
Glad everyone is OK.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Reactions: marty59
Gotta plan carefully. My 14' aluminum has 2 seasons on the D and will get out there again this year, I'm sure. Even with the big boat available, sometimes the old girl is the better option, personally.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Way too small for the river, jmo.glad every one is okay.
I think a bunch of folks learned some hard lessons yesterday. 41-42 degree water in an international shipping channel with a 3 mph current is no joke.
Reactions: Carpenter Bill
It was me and buddys who saved these guys it was pretty scary they was freezing panicking and no life vest. They had a bunch of ropes in boat and tangled around there legs .I honestly think if we didn't help when we did the older gentleman would have drown he couldn't hold on much longer . If your gonna fish in smaller vessels u have to wear a life vest u never know what's gonna happen .a freighter came through yesterday throwing the biggest wake iv ever seen .Glad I was there to help it messed our fishing up for 3 hours so what saved to guys life I was surprised at how many boats around who didn't reel in lines and come help .I know if it is ever them in need there gonna want the same help .Hopefully got some good karma coming our way this week on the D.
I was fishing the upper yesterday and there was a freigter that came through around 3 o clock blowing the speed limit..... Easily the biggest/sharpest wake I have ever seen on the river. 4-5 foot wake off that SOB. First time I have been nervous in my 17.5
You guys did God's work on Easter... can't measure that.
It was me and buddys who saved these guys it was pretty scary they was freezing panicking and no life vest. They had a bunch of ropes in boat and tangled around there legs .I honestly think if we didn't help when we did the older gentleman would have drown he couldn't hold on much longer . If your gonna fish in smaller vessels u have to wear a life vest u never know what's gonna happen .a freighter came through yesterday throwing the biggest wake iv ever seen .Glad I was there to help it messed our fishing up for 3 hours so what saved to guys life I was surprised at how many boats around who didn't reel in lines and come help .I know if it is ever them in need there gonna want the same help .Hopefully got some good karma coming our way this week on the D.
More like 2 in the faster areas.
I think a bunch of folks learned some hard lessons yesterday. 41-42 degree water in an international shipping channel with a 3 mph current is no joke.
Great job sluggo. Maybe we should start calling the coast guard and giving them the ship name and location when one of those freighters are flying along. Maybe call them today and report this capsize or post it to the coast guard website. Again great job to anyone involved in the rescue.
Good job on the save, I can’t imagine people being aware of the situation and continuing to fish instead of help. Shame on them.
It was a Canadian steamship he came back down river a hour later or one exactly like it going much slower with normal wake . His 1 st pass was literally the fastest and biggest waves iv ever seen on that river bouncing of seawalls for next 15 minutes !
Great job sluggo. Maybe we should start calling the coast guard and giving them the ship name and location when one of those freighters are flying along. Maybe call them today and report this capsize or post it to the coast guard website. Again great job to anyone involved in the rescue.
We are talking about the same ship. This ship said "Canadian Steamship" on it. The ship that came down at appropriate speed an hour later was similar but a different ship.
It was a Canadian steamship he came back down river a hour later or one exactly like it going much slower with normal wake . His 1 st pass was literally the fastest and biggest waves iv ever seen on that river bouncing of seawalls for next 15 minutes !
Reactions: kisherfisher
In my teens I owned a 14ft and never felt unsafe...but we stayed in the TC, I’d suggest the same for small boat owners.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.