Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Call Marc Nugent-Manitou Boatworks and Engineering. 231-649-6776. He is good at what he does and is affordable.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
No.4shot said:
this may be a stupid question, but what is a boat survey?

thanks
Mike
A boat survey is when they check every part of the boat. Lots of times they use ultra sound to check the splines, main beam etc. It is a total inspection that most banks require before they will allow you to borrow any cash for a boat.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Not 100% true. Most surveys are just structural surveys unless otherwise noted. Often a mechanical(engine\drivetrain) survey is NOT included.

A structural survey looking for wet stringers, floors, transom, etc is absolutly essential when buying a used boat. 80% of the time, its cheaper to throw out a wet boat than to fix it. A small unsealed hole can destroy a boat transom, and a transom repair job will probably run $5K - $$$$$.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
It all depends on the type of survey requested. The most common is "Condition and value". These do not normally include in-depth mechanical inspection. Most guys will do a sea trial that may, may not be included in price, as well as offer mechanical inspection for an additional fee.

For a quick rundown, the survey should include: General Info (make, model, serial #'s), systems (including hull, deck, superstructure, interior, propulsion, electrical and safety.), deficiencies and a summary & valuation.

Not only will a good surveyor do the above, but they will offer a list of like boats that are for sale on the market and give you prices of what those vessels are going for. This helps in regards to a loan. Upon completion, the surveyor will give you the overall condition, fair market value, and estimated replacement cost.

Whoever you get, make sure they are NAMS or SAMS accredited.

http://www.nams-cms.org/
http://www.marinesurvey.org/members.html

If you cannot find a guy localy, I have a guy in Chicago that I have used multiple times.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Is this type of inspection required? If so, what types of boats HAVE to be inspected?

Thanks!

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Some banks require them for a loan. Other than that, they are up to the buyer. The seller is NOT responsible for a survey in any way. I would highly advise a survey on any boat that you may consider a large investment, including boats that are only a few yrs old. Some buyers of Large Yachts get them even on a new purchase. And yes, the surveyor may find things wrong on new boats as well.

If there is a boat you like, make an offer but place it contingent on a survey. If the boat has issues you are not comfortable with, you can back outta the deal. Most cost between $12-15 per foot.

BTW, on the structure side of a fiberglass boat, most of the time the fate of the hull is sealed when the boat leaves the factory. A boat that isn’t built well doesn’t get better with time, only worse.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
If buying a boat for a marina/broker, be careful of using someone they recommend. I have seen where they have been in CAHOOTS to move a boat. Friend of mine bought a boat from a dealer in Ohio and used someone the dealer advised. The boat passed the survey, but only a few months later when he got his DNR inspection, they found rotted floors, transom, stringers, etc........ No matter what, make sure they are SAMS or NAMS approved.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Give Mark Veriunk a call. He does a great job. Will not side with anyone. Just gives you an accurate survey. Done 2 of my boats and many people that I know. All very satisfied with him. He is from Grand Haven/Sping Lake area. Email me at [email protected] for his number if interested.

Thanks

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Yeah, Mark is a Good guy. I would recommend him as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts