Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just a standard 14 v to flat with 20hp fishing boat. Is that way to small to take out on the bay? I know weather would be big factor but wasn't sure if there were a few spots closer to shore, or am I just crazy even thinking about it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you stay in the inner bay and it is a nice day there will not be a problem. I fished a 15ft before I got my 21ft and never had a problem. I saw plenty of little boats out last night by the mouth. So no you will not be the only one and as long as you watch the weather you will be fine.
Jeff

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a standard 14' V bottom boat that I "some" times take out on the bay. I watch the weather real hard prior to leaving the house and I also watch it while I'm out on the water. Your boat will work you just have to pick the days you go out is all. Another thing is I try and stay with-in 3 miles of shore. I only have a 9.5 hp out board motor.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yes You can fish on nice days, and be sucessful in a small boat. I would recomend getting a VHF radio - a hand held would work just fine and You'd be able to moniter weather conditions for safety. C-man

·
Registered
117 Posts
all of the above is true. i have a 16' that is not particularly deep, but is fine on nice days. you just have to watch the wind forcast carefully.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used to fish my 14 all the time it was a deep v with 20 hp. I got a hand held cobra from gander for 20$ I have been out to the sparkplug on a nice day just watch the weather. At least with the 20 you can run back in pretty fast.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I agree with these people, BUT you MUST be VERY carefull out on the bay. If you are not familar with it and can not read the weather and wind signals, I would be very careful with my life and anyone who goes with you. I have been fishing the bay for 29 years and storms can catch you off guard in a heartbeat. Wear a life jacket at all times keep your cell phone and flares in a plastic bag readily available, you have only one life, do not lose it for a fish!!!

Good Luck Fishing

Mark

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would try fishing west from Quannicassee or east along the shore from Sag river launch, weather permitting. Don't be afraid to fish shallow if the water is colored.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I fished two summers ago in a 14 foot boat. I caught a lot of fish in it too! I probably did better in that than I did in my bigger boat. Here are a few suggestions!
1. Never ever go out in an east wind, nor a north east wind. I found that even if the waves are a foot when you go out, they can get worse in a hurry.
2. Stick to a port that has a lot of boat traffic going out of it. I usually go out of great lakes in Standish, and somedays, if no one else was going out, I wouldn't go out. (just didn't like the idea of being way out with no one else out)
3. Talk with the marina, let them know you are launching in a small boat, and if the marina has a tow service, find out what channel they are on in case you have trouble.
4. Try fishing the weed beds, they offer fish in shallower, and hold walleyes year round.
5. Use your head, and if you think maybe you shouldn't go out, dont. Check the radar images on NOAA before you go out.
Help that helps, and good luck.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
best tip...a good old AM radio....poor mans radar...you can pick up a thunder storm thats still on lake michigan...

look for packs of boats and troll to the inside of them..worked for us for years when we had the 14fter out...id send you to gieger rd if you could even launch there i dont know but the islands give you a nice safety factor
and you would need a boat that small to troll the humps off the isalnds now any way

·
Registered
59 Posts
In 1998 I nearly died on Saginaw Bay during a three hour boat ride in a 14 foot deep V with a 25 hp motor. We only needed to go from the hot ponds to the launch at Finn Rd, about 2 miles, but the north east winds had kicked up some pretty good waves, and we took water over the entire length of the boat many times. This boat had a bilge pump, and that might be what saved our skin. We had been way back in the hot ponds, and with the high banks we didn’t notice the wind had picked up, but when we came around the last curve on our way out, let me just say it was bad. The boat nearly went over back wards a few times, and even though we were wearing very good rain suites, the money in my wallet got wet during our trip back. We were completely at the mercy of the wind, and every time we tried to fight it, the boat was completely swamped by wave after wave. I was never so happy to make it to the launch, but both of us were hypothermic by then and really not thinking very well. This was the day I decided to buy a bigger boat. I had been on the bay many times, and thought the 14 footer was fine, as long as the weather was good when we left the launch. I now have a very deep 19 footer, and this boat seems quite adequate most days, but no boat should be considered safe in any weather on the bay. You will also want to insure you have the proper safety equipment, GPS, radio, compass, great lakes kit with flares and fire extinguisher. Learn to use all this stuff before you get out there too, an emergency is no time to teach yourself to operate this stuff. The bay is a great place to fish, and I’ve have had and continue to have wonderful times out there, but I believe there were at least two boats that went down and all hands were lost last year alone. Three of these guys were in a 17 footer, and had been out on the bay many times. Have fun, but be careful.

Old Bill

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would have stayed and anchored/tied off there. Venturing out from that (safe) place onto the dangerous water was a mistake. Not trying to be a critic, but I would have walked out before risking my life.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Soulfish,

You are correct, knowing what I know now, I'd do the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts