Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Just looking for some input. :confused: Just purchased a used 18 ft Lund Alaskan with a 70 HP Motor. Wanting to do some occasional trolling for Salmon / Steel a couple times a year. I'll only be on the lake about half a dozen times a year since it's a 4 hour trek to Lk MI, so I don't need the best equipment, just a workable set-up.

I have 2x8 board that mounts across the boat just in from of the transom that has a couple old down riggers left over from my Dad's boat that haven't been used in probably 20 years. But they are in good shape and the 2ft booms will hang off to each of the back sides. They are the old hand crank time, but they should work fine.

Thinking of getting a couple lead core rods setup too... Or maybe a couple rods with dipsey's. What do you guys think? For lead core, I have a couple old Penn reals that are probably 20+ years old - I just need to clean them a bit. For dipseys, what kind of rod / reel / line / leader do you guys recommend?

Just got a new Eagle Fish Locator.

Got lots of spoons and other lures. Got some old downrigger clips with the plastic rings, I think they might use small rubber bands too... Are these pretty workable or are their better ways to attached your line to the downriggers now? :confused:

Do you think I need a kicker? The motor runs pretty good, nice smooth idle, but I think it may be too fast... I have a 6hp motor I could add for trolling if you guys think it will make a difference.

Given this is still a small boat, do you think I'll be okay as long as I stay within a mile or two of the shore and keep a good eye on the incoming weather? I remember going salmon fishing with my Grandpa in a 16ft aluminum boat 30 years ago and we did pretty good ... Not sure if much has changed in terms of techniques and equipment other than its a heck of a lot more expensive now...

Thanks.

Doug

Thanks.

Doug

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Doug,

I have an 1800 Alaskan with the 90HP 4-Stroke. You will not need a kicker. Just get yourself some trolling socks. I can get mine down to 1.0 mph with those.

That boat will work great on Erie, you just have to watch the weather and pick your days.

· Registered
256 Posts
If you can afford it, get a kicker. It's not that you need it for trolling, it is good safety option if the main motor stalls. I know safety is one of the top priorities when going out on any of the great lakes. Good luck with the set-up.

· Registered
2,906 Posts
the 18 Lund Alaskan is a pretty seaworthy boat. I had my old Alaskan 30+ miles offshore on a number of occasions. Yes, it did have a kicker. Wouldn't try it without. I eventually blew a bunch of rivets out, punding the crap out of it. I guess that's what bilge pumps and JB Weld are for.

2s and 3s are fine in that boat, especially if there's a trim/tilt on the o.b. Take em head on and keep the bow popped up.

As for the rest of your stuff- give it a shot. A full core, a couple half cores, a bunch of snap weights, a couple dipsy rods with braid and you're set.

· Registered
44 Posts
Good Evening,

I am a new commer to coldwater fishing but I do know that cable on your downrigger will "sing" underwater. If you can find some Good Flourocarbon line to use that will help in that department. If you are looking for some extra places to run lines to make the spread more visable. We used to put suction cups on the side of the outboard with a "knock down clip" and run one or two centerlines like that.

I hope that help some. Have fun and leave some fish for the rest of us.

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.