Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a seat, pedestal and mount for my fishing boat and was wondering what the best way to attach the mount to the wooden floor of my boat. Not sure how thick the floor is. 3/4" ?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I used T-Nuts to mount mine. I utilized the opening I had to cut for my pedastal to fit and anchored the nuts with a bolt and washer. Then I positioned the pedastal and bolted down into the T-Nuts. I am assuming that you are using the removable post system.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
It would depennd on the accessability to the bottom side. If at all possible, use bolts and lock nuts(all SS) and a backing plate. The higher the pedastal, and the heavier the person that will be sitting on it, the more important the backing plate becomes. The last thing you want is that seat ripping out when you're cruising across the lake and hurting someone and tearing the floor of the boat up...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this time the underside of the floor is unaccessable. That is the problem.

Not sure if I'm reading the previous posts correctly. Should I cut a hole under the pedestal base to access the nuts for tightening?

And what are T-nuts? The spring-loaded jobbies you use with drywall?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I just installed a false floor in my boat with a pedastal seat. I bought the stuff from Gander mountain. A mount plate and a removable pedastal pole. Installed with stainless nuts and bolts. 3/4 plywood floor we used. I did the removable so i could remove it if needed.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
If you absolutly cant get underneeth, I would suggest a base plate of aluminum or SS under the pedastal base(but above the floor) to distribute some of the weight, again, especially if the pedasatl is higher than 8-12" or so. The torque applied as the weight gets higher on the pedastal increases exponentially.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jason,

What would you use for bolts? Seems like lags would work themselves loose after a while. Thanks for the advice on the base plate...

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
bvanzalen said:
Jason,

What would you use for bolts? Seems like lags would work themselves loose after a while. Thanks for the advice on the base plate...
Well, you're implying that your gonna have to use a screw if you have no below the deck access. I dont really know, cause I never use screws on the boat, cause they all come loose, especailly on something like a seat mount.

The other option is if you're handy with some tools (or have a buddy in a machine shop) is to drill a hole in the floor and the in base plate just big enough to get your hand through. Tap the base plate to accept bolts so you can bolt the pedastal to the base plate. Use any bolt/washer/Nylock Nut combo to bolt the base plate down to the deck, then bolt the pedastal to the tapped base plate. That would be ideal.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Note, the plate I described above can probably be made in 10 minutes by someone in a shop. I had four of essentailly the same things done in 1" aluminum to adapt cannon riggers to BigJon bases, and it was cake for the guy in the shop. 4 smooth holes on the outside, 4 tapped holes in the center, (+ the access hand hole in the center)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts