Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening! Last week my family and I send a week fishing in the UP (Ceaderville/Hessel). My boat trailer broke on the last day and damaged my StarCraft Starfire 170DC (Aluminum). My insurance company (progressive) is requesting that I find a shop within 100miles to have the work quoted and done. I'm from Cleveland OH, and have no idea of someone to do aluminum hull repair here at home let alone 500miles away. If anyone has any contacts, it would be MUCH appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Good evening! Last week my family and I send a week fishing in the UP (Ceaderville/Hessel). My boat trailer broke on the last day and damaged my StarCraft Starfire 170DC (Aluminum). My insurance company (progressive) is requesting that I find a shop within 100miles to have the work quoted and done. I'm from Cleveland OH, and have no idea of someone to do aluminum hull repair here at home let alone 500miles away. If anyone has any contacts, it would be MUCH appreciated!

Thank you!
What year boat and what kind of damage? Those are the 2 main questions anyone in the business should ask as it will determine whether the job is a "stuff & buff" or drill, panel replacement and re-rivet fiasco.

I can't recommend anyone in that area but automotive body shops are usually good for pointers on work like you're looking at.

·
Super Moderator
20,604 Posts
I think the 100 miles is as far as they are willing to tow it at their expense.

Just let them fix or replace the trailer and go from there. Should be someone around Houston Lake

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I know you probably dont want to hear this.Maybe this will help someone else.If you had US Boating insurance with trailer assistance,they would of put it on a flatbed and taken it back to your house at no expense to you.For about a hundred bucks a year,it is peace of mind.Again,not saying what you should have done.Just info for somebody else.Hope you get things taken care of.Sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've worked with them before- their trailer policy is they'll flatbet it and take it to the closest repair facility when you're more than 100miles away from home

·
Registered
53 Posts
The insurance company is looking for the cheapest way out. Especially Progressive. They have no interest in what happens to you or your boat. Find out the maximum they are willing to pay for 100 mile tow and have it towed to place you trust. Don't let the insurance company bully you into a bad situation. If the damage to the boat is cosmetic it shouldn't be to difficult to find a shop to do those repairs in your area. Shops that do more than that are gonna be harder to find.

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
What about the murtaugh marine facility in Hessel. I would think they would be equipped to handle most work/repairs

Reactions: m.smith4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Progressive is being super great about that part .... Said no one ever. -_- lol. They won't even send an adjuster out due to COVID, but they're trying to deny trailer claim without even going on site. Pretty frustrating

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
I just did a quick Google check and there are several other boat repair facilities within 25 or 30 miles of Hessel. Maybe some of them could take on the job

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got ahold of 4 so far, non of them do aluminum work. I was hoping someone might have known if an aluminum place... They might just have to total it out.

·
Premium Member
12,378 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Aluminum repair requires special training and equipment. Body shops that service high end cars may be a better option. Ford dealers are set up for aluminum repair. Another option might be facilities that repair commercial truck trailers.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
There is a Crestliner dealer somewhere near the Sault I think and for sure in Roscommon.
Maple Bay Marine in Brutus is a decent sized Lund Dealer. Even if they can’t fix it, they may know who can...
Next major aluminum boat dealer grouping would be Houghton Lake metro area or maybe Gaylord.

how bad are the trailer and boat?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts