Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have decided that it is time to replace my boat. Right now I have a 2001 Lund Tyee 185 with a 125 Merc on it. It's been a great boat, but is a bit more than what I now need. All the kids are gone and I spend a lot of time fishing by myself or with only 1 other and I never run way out in Erie fishing anymore. Looking to downsize so I can keep it in my garage and make it easier for me to handle. 16-17 foot. I do a lot of DR and SC river jigging, smallie fishing and panfish.

Looks like I have room in my garage for up to a 17 footer. What would you guys recommend? 16-17 foot.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Starcraft/Smokercraft Freedom 16 or 18. I love mine, I have the 18(almost 19) with a 90 ETEC tiller.
Its great except tiring on long boat rides in heavy seas.
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, find a Mirrocraft Lake Fisherman and put a new motor on it. I have one of these too with a 50. 74" beam. Great river boat.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
My Lund 1700 Explorer has served me well. Tows and launches with ease. With the swing tongue trailer it fits easily in my garage. I fish mostly LSC, the Detroit River, and a few trips a year to Saginaw Bay. I've always said to myself if the water is to rough for my little vessel then I don't want to be fishin.

Water Boat Watercraft Plant Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Super Moderator
38,113 Posts
For the waters mentioned, I'd go glass. Like a 17' Montauk.

Reactions: BFG

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 16ft. Lund classic i fish Erie with. And then jigging the river it’s a wider deeper boat for its size handles bigger waves well too. Probably been out on Erie a few times when I shouldn’t But to the point you know when it’s too rough. But it’s a great multipurpose boat for all species even have it rigged to run a 6 rod salmon spread love the adaptability of it. Can handle 3-4 ppl jigging river and 2-3 trolling if it’s not too rough out.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
1675 Lund Impact. I fish alone a lot also and it is a great boat.

I like to drift the SCR with #3 Colorado blades and the boat will usually move fast enough to spin the blades and catch fish...I don't like to troll. Works well for jigging also.
Sky Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Used a 16' for years on the river, but it's amazing what 12 more inches can do, lol....17' all the way !....all the other boats anymore today, they just throw too big of wake & go way faster than they did not so long ago....my all time favorite boat we owned for the river was a 16'7" Sea Nymph BT175 Backtroller, tiller....rated to 60hp & we only put on a 40hp....now I'd put that 60 on, with a kicker....awesome fishing machine....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Used a 16' for years on the river, but it's amazing what 12 more inches can do, lol....17' all the way !....all the other boats anymore today, they just throw too big of wake & go way faster than they did not so long ago....my all time favorite boat we owned for the river was a 16'7" Sea Nymph BT175 Backtroller, tiller....rated to 60hp & we only put on a 40hp....now I'd put that 60 on, with a kicker....awesome fishing machine....
I second this one, have this exact boat with a 40hp and an ulterra. Great for the river and select erie days

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Look for something with a similar beam as your current boat. If you get something a lot narrower, it's going to feel significantly less safe than what you are used with it rocking side to side whether from waves or just leaning over the side to land a fish. There are short but wide boats out there.
Chode boats
I wish Alaskans were a little wider.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Second the Impact 1675. It is 16 foot 8 inches. Wide beam enough room as mentioned previously. I have fished Erie, Dr and lake Huron without any issues. Defense get max horse power . I did fish in Wally Gordo's Alumicraft and was quite pleased with it so would definitely look at the Classic.

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Second the Impact 1675. It is 16 foot 8 inches. Wide beam enough room as mentioned previously. I have fished Erie, Dr and lake Huron without any issues. Defense get max horse power . I did fish in Wally Gordo's Alumicraft and was quite pleased with it so would definitely look at the Classic.
That Impact is a nice looking boat but imo those back jump seats and live well eat up a lot of floor space. Bet it could be removed special order.

·
Super Moderator
38,113 Posts
If I were stuck with aluminum, A 14 or 16' Lund SSV would be on my short list. Simple, basic design. Lots of freeboard for a small boat. And if one insists on using a riveted boat on our choppy waters, the ease with which one can buck rivets after the boat gets twisted up is a no brainer. I just won't take my Lund on St Clair or Erie, thats why the glass boat sits next to it..
Best aluminum boat I ever had out there was an '84(?) 16' Crestliner SuperFishhawk. Coupled with a 60HP Mariner that thing was a hoot, and built like a tank, all welded never leaked a drop. Kinda wish I was still the original owner.LOL

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just another thought but would you keep your current boat if it fit in the garage? Or this more of a launching solo issue or hooking etal?

I think about this stuff as my Dad hit 80 and I have to keep my 186 Crestliner outside. I ask myself would I keep this boat if I could somehow fit in garage and not have to cover it.

The width of the gates into my yard also pose an issue. Anyway I am a ways off from crossing this bridge but I thought about building a box out on the garage or an extension. This way I could have boat in garage and SUV on other side plus lawn mower etal.

I have been walking a lot more last fall and noticed this guys idea. Just thought I would share if keeping your current boat is an option.

I would just need a good carpenter since I know nothing how to build this myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got a 2022 StarCraft Freedom SC 90HP Yamaha.
18'11" call it 19'.

It's great in the Lake Erie and great on the river. It's 7'6" wide all wide open floor plan. Was gonna power with a 75 but for 600$ more I out the 90 on it. Why not.

Vary large livewell. It's a great boat.

Was gonna buy the Lund Alaskan but I couldn't believe the price and putting both side by side, it was the same with the StarCraft coming in a bit wider. Awesome boat.

The 16' freedoms are nice in a tiller model to. SnokerCraft or StarCraft

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 20 of 23 Posts