Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 10-14' duck hunting boat. I generally hunt alone or with one other person, so I don't need anything too large. I was hoping to get some feedback on whether I should get a v-bottom or a flat, jon boat style? I mostly hunt small inland lakes and a large river with a floodwaters. I certainly want something stable, but also something lightweight that I can manage by myself. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I have a 14 ft aluminum without a motor...would come off it cheap just sittin in the yard

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 12' flat with a 6hp mud motor... it works fine and I have no problems but I wish I did have a 14' for a little more comfort.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Also, there's a spot that I've been wanting to check out for a while now....but I have to access it via Lake Huron and into a small sound. Has anyone been on the big lake with a jon boat? I've heard that 6" waves feel like 6' on them.....

·
Banned
3,032 Posts

All fall. I get in 2 of chop empty she's rough but with guys n gear it slaps but not horrible. That's 17 n 7 ft wide

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
That's on the bay to where waves r close together. I've perched fished in that on the other side in 3s n never felt unsafe. Id rather be in 3-4 over on lake mi than 1-2 on the bay.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
That's on the bay to where waves r close together. I've perched fished in that on the other side in 3s n never felt unsafe. Id rather be in 3-4 over on lake mi than 1-2 on the bay.
Lewy is right it all depends on where you are planning on using it. I personally would go with something with a higher transom as well. No worse feeling that having a ice cold wave come over the back while you are running. And some other words of advice don't be a daredevil out there if u are by yourself. Better safe than sorry

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
412 Posts
I probably hunt some of the same areas where you hunt. I use a Carsten's Pintail for most of my hunting. I bought the boat last year and found it really easy to get around on the small to medium size lakes. Canoes and skiffs are just easier to move around by yourself and you can drop them in areas that don't have launches. Those boats area pretty easy to hide in low cover and are handy for retrieving downed birds if you don't have a dog.(don't have to fire up the motor to chase down ducks)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts