Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
The adjustments just anchor the cable to the sheath as something to push or pull against at a known position. If putting the box back together didn’t get the cable adjusted exactly like it was, adjusting the other end at the motor will do the same thing and is a lot easier than pulling the box back apart. If it idles high, you might want to back off a little on the throttle at the engine unless it needs a high idle to stay running like some older motors.
Yes, but too high an idle will cause damage to the gears in the lower unit. Every motor has a "never exceed" idle RPM for this reason. If reassembling the control box caused the idle throttle stop to come out of proper adjustment then it will need to be re set. A tach and the idle adjust procedure specific to that motor is all you need but if you're not comfortable doing it you should look for a mechanic. A lot of guys will just turn a screw here and there to try to get idle set up on 2 strokes but this is never a good idea if you want the motor to start easily and run right. It's not rocket science but there is definitely one right way to do it and a whole bunch of wrong ways.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Yes, but too high an idle will cause damage to the gears in the lower unit. Every motor has a "never exceed" idle RPM for this reason. If reassembling the control box caused the idle throttle stop to come out of proper adjustment then it will need to be re set. A tach and the idle adjust procedure specific to that motor is all you need but if you're not comfortable doing it you should look for a mechanic. A lot of guys will just turn a screw here and there to try to get idle set up on 2 strokes but this is never a good idea if you want the motor to start easily and run right. It's not rocket science but there is definitely one right way to do it and a whole bunch of wrong ways.
There’s a correct way to do it when the engine is still in good condition and running like it should. Then there are other old engines out there on their last legs that you can chose to do things to keep them running for a while or chose to stop using them all together.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
There’s a correct way to do it when the engine is still in good condition and running like it should. Then there are other old engines out there on their last legs that you can chose to do things to keep them running for a while or chose to stop using them all together.
Absolutely! The '89 9.9 Merc on my boat now is exactly like that. Its had too many previous owners in its abused past which is evident from all the wrong parts and jury-rigged fixes. I've done my best to bring it back to stock and it runs decent but I knew what I was buying at the time. But, I wrench and have worked on small motors most of my life so I'll take on a "special needs" motor if I have to. If it gets me through this season I'll be happy and sell or scrap it this winter. My point in the previous post is that those who don't really have much outboard repair experience can get themselves into some costly problems by just turning up the idle speed adjustment. There's always the underlying reason why that idle is too low, too rough or too high and that needs to be addressed or it will give you fits trying to maintain 2.3 heading upwind on a bouncy day. Or if its your main and it clunks going in forward/reverse harshly and you just run it like that and wonder why there's all that silvery crap in your gear lube when you change it. haha

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I’m down with the rona for atleast another 10 days. I’ve looked at you tube videos and the main adjustment for the throttle and transmission cables is at the back of the motor. Worst case scenario grandpa owns marine tech in benzonia and I’ll have his mechanic bill ( who is very good )show me how to adjust it.

I believe it has always idled high as it was a ski boat in its previous life but, not as much clunking. I should probably tune it down to troll any how.

Everything was gone through by grandpas guys before I got the boat so I know the motor is preatty good shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
I now have a working VHF radio and antenna. I replaced the 20+ year old Raymarine with a Standard Horizon GX1400GPS. It seems to be well built, and has GPS and DSC, which my old Ray45 didn't have. Good deal!

Bad news, I have a power feed issue. The circuit I feed the VHF with has a hot/positive wire that I haven't identified yet. It is not connected to any circuit in the main load center, which was confirmed by pulling all of the fuses, and the VHF power remained hot. The problem is after a number of radio transmit actuations, the feed voltage drops for some reason and the radio power cycles/reboots. There must be some loose or corroded connection in the power feed.

I have confirmed 100% normal radio function when hardwired directly to the battery terminals with no other wiring.

So I need to run new hot and ground to the radio either directly from the battery or from an open circuit on the load center.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I now have a working VHF radio and antenna. I replaced the 20+ year old Raymarine with a Standard Horizon GX1400GPS. It seems to be well built, and has GPS and DSC, which my old Ray45 didn't have. Good deal!

Bad news, I have a power feed issue. The circuit I feed the VHF with has a hot/positive wire that I haven't identified yet. It is not connected to any circuit in the main load center, which was confirmed by pulling all of the fuses, and the VHF power remained hot. The problem is after a number of radio transmit actuations, the feed voltage drops for some reason and the radio power cycles/reboots. There must be some loose or corroded connection in the power feed.

I have confirmed 100% normal radio function when hardwired directly to the battery terminals with no other wiring.

So I need to run new hot and ground to the radio either directly from the battery or from an open circuit on the load center.
A little extra work but well worth running the new wires. Especially on something as important as the VHF. Now that you're going to have DSC are you going to get a MMSI number? I just did this yesterday through BoatUS. $25 but you program that MMSI number into the radio, connect your radio to your GPS through the NMEA 0183 Transmit/Receive wires and you're good to go. I literally just came back in the house from replacing my VHF radio and tying the new one into my Garmin 93SV. Now, when I have guests (or even The Commodore) I can just do a little safety briefing about the use of the Red Button on the radio and there's nothing to worry about. I can help you get it all connected if you need a pointer or two.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I’m down with the rona for atleast another 10 days. I’ve looked at you tube videos and the main adjustment for the throttle and transmission cables is at the back of the motor. Worst case scenario grandpa owns marine tech in benzonia and I’ll have his mechanic bill ( who is very good )show me how to adjust it.

I believe it has always idled high as it was a ski boat in its previous life but, not as much clunking. I should probably tune it down to troll any how.

Everything was gone through by grandpas guys before I got the boat so I know the motor is preatty good shape

Sorry to hear about getting that nasty junk. Hope you get better soon. I saw you have a nice vintage Merc hanging off the transom. My Merc is a little newer than yours (92 Black Max) and the service manual lists the Do Not Exceed RPM for idle at 750. Might be a ballpark starting point for you. IDK, yours is an inline I believe. If you have a tach on the gauge cluster you can at least see if its way too high. I love the way those old Mercs sound. That's a nice resource to have, a Grandpa with a marine service center. Awesome! You sure don't need me giving advice, haha.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Sorry to hear about getting that nasty junk. Hope you get better soon. I saw you have a nice vintage Merc hanging off the transom. My Merc is a little newer than yours (92 Black Max) and the service manual lists the Do Not Exceed RPM for idle at 750. Might be a ballpark starting point for you. IDK, yours is an inline I believe. If you have a tach on the gauge cluster you can at least see if its way too high. I love the way those old Mercs sound. That's a nice resource to have, a Grandpa with a marine service center. Awesome! You sure don't need me giving advice, haha.
Thanks about the well wishes. No the wife is getting sick she got tested yet day.

That’s the only other issue is the tach dosent work. I guess , I should be getting to figuring that out too. Yes mines an inline 6. She turns heads when I fire her up first thing. I’ll be up north by the end of the month after I get better

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
My latest Prep/Refitting for the last week has been:

Replaced the VHF and networked it with the Garmin GPS, rewired the trailer completely and replaced all lighting with LED submersibles, installed a USB charger/voltmeter in the dash, installed and tested my homebuilt/hacked iTroll on the kicker, built a step up onto the foredeck and carpeted it (big brownie points from the wife on that one) and the last one will be to repack the bearings on the trailer.

Then this Tuesday I'm off to St. Joe for a whole week of fishing the southern basin of Lake Michigan. (About effing time!!!) I like working on the boat mostly but I have a boat so I can fish, not so I can sit in it in the driveway or pole barn and wish I was fishing.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Great progress @ETW . How are you using the VHF to Garmin networking? Does your VHF have built-in GPS?

I just got my new VHF wired correctly, and it has GPS as well as my chartplotter. I like the idea of networking them but I don't see the advantage, because they both have GPS.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Great progress @ETW . How are you using the VHF to Garmin networking? Does your VHF have built-in GPS?

I just got my new VHF wired correctly, and it has GPS as well as my chartplotter. I like the idea of networking them but I don't see the advantage, because they both have GPS.
Oh, it didn't dawn on me that your Standard Horizon had built in GPS, haha. Its even in the model number. My new (used) radio didn't have a GPS receiver so I just connected its NMEA port to my Garmin. You're right it would not be any improvement other than seeing another boat's DSC distress call location show up on your chartplotter. So, if that's not something you want then I wouldn't bother. I wonder what the percentage of rec boaters on the Great Lakes even have an MMSI number programmed into their radio? Did you get your's BTW?

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Oh, it didn't dawn on me that your Standard Horizon had built in GPS, haha. Its even in the model number. My new (used) radio didn't have a GPS receiver so I just connected its NMEA port to my Garmin. You're right it would not be any improvement other than seeing another boat's DSC distress call location show up on your chartplotter. So, if that's not something you want then I wouldn't bother. I wonder what the percentage of rec boaters on the Great Lakes even have an MMSI number programmed into their radio? Did you get your's BTW?
Yes, I got an MMSI and entered it into the radio tonight. Pretty easy process. I tried a test call but I am not in range of any DSC station. I will try a test call when I launch in Muskegon in May.

Tomorrow I hope I can button up the radio installation. I need to fabricate an adapter plate to attach the new radio to the helm.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Installing autopilot this year. Going with Simrad Go9xe with their helm drive system. My boat is an I/O so looks like the helm drive seems to be the easiest route for autopilot.

Seems always to be someone does more than their fair share of time behind the wheel.

Also considering going to big-boards to make fishing more fun. Reeling in planer boards is not fun for people.

Had hoped to buy a larger boat but the used boat market is to “hot” for my liking right now.
Autopilot and new chart plotter completed. Really glad I upgraded. The install took a lot longer than I anticipated, mostly due to sorting out wiring work from previous owner.

Also decided to add a new remote terminal to make future upgrades easier, more fish finders or radar.

Commissioned autopilot yesterday. Fired up and work right after the setup process. Trolling is way easier with a autopilot. Need to work a little on fine tuning the gain on autopilot but could just leave too.

Anyone that is in the same position as me with a Merc I/O cable assisted power steering the NAC-1 / helm drive is an good solution.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
New VHF is fully installed! I fabricated a small adapter plate, to mount the new radio under the helm. I tested it many times to be sure the power supply and antenna are working correctly, and they are. Job done.

I'm ready to hit the water, but still have some discretionary projects I want to get done before the first trip:

• new wheel studs and lug nuts on curb side. Road side was done last year.
  • squirt of grease in the hubs
  • fire the main engine
  • check trailer lights

Some time this year I want to replace all of the rubber/plastic fuel tubing inside the main engine, and the squeeze bulb/hose assembly. I have all of the internal engine hoses, fittings and clips. I just need a squeeze bulb hose from Honda.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
A few more items checked off the list:

• aired tires to 50psi
  • greased: axle hubs, tilt tubes x 2, swivel cases x 2

Last things will be to rotate tires, curbside wheel studs, check trailer lights, fire the main engine and a wash.

I reserved a campsite at Muskegon State Park the week before Memorial Day. It’s almost time!

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Waiting on more consistent warm weather to start glass work but still making progress. New dash, helm, steering wheel, autopilot pump/computer, cabin lights/fan, outboard controls and stereo/speakers installed. All systems have been rewired. Added a storage box to partially fill in the doghouse. Still need to run the outboard wire harness, control lines and steering hoses. Hope I can start glass in next couple weeks with a goal to get on water around early June.

181 - 196 of 196 Posts