Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kroppe started last years thread, for 2020

Figured since I have boat away for winter, and refitting already, I’d start this years thread.

What needs done on your vessel and trailer?

What major refits will you do this season?

From Kroppe last year.

"My normal list is to clean the boat, change the motors' oil and filters, and verify function of all systems. Then inventory tackle and make a list of what needs repaired or replaced on the boat, trailer and tackle" end Quote

This year, I am looking to install a new HDS Live-12, and an Arimar transducer for my 2D. Going to move my HDI Transducer to the front trolling motor for Jigging. Then I have 2D and DI at the front, for Walleye & Salmon.

Looking to also replace an HDS Gen3-9 with a Live-9. Need to sell/upgrade another graph first.

Replace my SSHD (LSS2) with the newer Active Imaging 2in1 for my SI & DI.

Boat is already cleaned, carpet, cockpit vinyl.

I removed 15 foot of VHF Radio antenna cable, that was unneeded.

Itroll was returned for a free firmware upgrade.

Have a ratcheting Salmon rod holder I needed fixed, have that done as well.

Waiting on the new graph to see what kind of fabrication I need to get it on the dash.

That my start for next year,

What are yours?

OE

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
1998 Crestliner 1750
- Install Minn-kota quick release bracket DONE
- Remove / sell Humminbird Helix G3N with MSI+ DONE
- Rebuild 4 carburators on Johnson 115 2-stroke
- Adjust/tighten throttle cable
- Replace fuel line to tank and new bulb
- Replace fuel filter
- Replace water-pump
- Replace carpeted floor / plywood with new plywood and vinyl
- install Lowrance TI2 12" and Active Imaging 3 in 1 Transducer
- Buy new Marine starting battery
- Inspect bearings
- Sand a few places that have dock rash and repaint with automotive paint
- Replace front red/green post with LED's

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Thanks for getting the thread going OE.

I MUST get two new trailer tires. Probably Goodyear Endurance.

I need to repower my Mustang self inflatable life vest.

I want to replace all small diameter rubber fuel hoses to the 4x1bbl carbs in the Honda 90.

I want to replace springs and shackles on the trailer, probably won’t do that.

I want to replace the timing belt on the Honda 90, not sure if I will do that or not.

The rest of it will be normal cleaning and small fixes.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for getting the thread going OE.

I MUST get two new trailer tires. Probably Goodyear Endurance.

I need to repower my Mustang self inflatable life vest.

I want to replace all small diameter rubber fuel hoses to the 4x1bbl carbs in the Honda 90.

I want to replace springs and shackles on the trailer, probably won’t do that.

I want to replace the timing belt on the Honda 90, not sure if I will do that or not.

The rest of it will be normal cleaning and small fixes.
Good Year Endurance all the way, as my current ones wear out, Ill replace them in pairs with the Endurance.

OE

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Pretty much did everything to my boat before putting it up for the winter.

Best I can think of is I have a blown up lower unit to rebuild as a back-up sometime this winter. It locked up while cutting power after an 8 mile run a couple years ago. The magnet on the drain plug came out looking like a mouth full of braces so I'm expecting some pic-worthy carnage inside.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I look forward to this thread!

Oil change on my main motor & lower units on both. I plan on doing belts & hoses on the main just as a preventative. I’m also adding a second helm for the kicker motor, thought about autopilot but I prefer hands on steering, gonna go with a push pull lever not a wheel. Adding another rod holder to each side also for more dipseys. Adding another set of dipsey rods & reels. Of course I’ll buy a bunch of spoons, flashers & flies & meat rigs that I won’t use. Adding a new back up graph/gps, also, just ordered this one, it’ll be here Wednesday!
7191ED8D-F798-48CC-BD66-AE0848796924.png

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I must have missed this last year, but I find it an interesting thread as I have my list hanging on the wall in the garage.Below is my list.

Clean and treat boat seats

Purchase and install Rescue Step ladder

Grease and inspect wheel bearings

Re-carpet trailer bunks

Clean and lube reels

Re-spool reels that aren't braid

Purchase and install Humminbird Helix 7di on bow

Organize and replace tackle as needed ( I started this project yesterday)

And after reading one of the posts above I plan to re-arm my self inflate vest just for insurance

I already changed oil, oil filter, gas filter and lower unit lube and removed prop and inspected for leaks and fish line

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upgrades are always fun, & costly......

Looking to ge the new graph mounted and guess what, I should really take into account the width of the device AND KNOBS when measuring, CUZ it aint gonna fit.

Day of research, and found that Traxxtech solution. I can mount a 6 in track to the dash, to cover the holes that were drilled by prior owner.

I can then use an 8 or 10 inch Dual pivot to mount the new 12 inch graph & an additional support plate for larger electronis.

Also found that transducer should always be in the water for cooling. They actaully have a heat sink, similar to one that is installed onto a computer proccesor.

This allows for cooling of the elements within the transducer.

I got the new Transdcer cable ran, and sticking out of the dash, was all proud of myself, then realized, I might have to remove it to mount the new Rytek Marine mountng bracket to the transducer and then run the cables.

So any work on the boat it at a stand still until the bracket arrived this coming Thursday.

some photos

OE

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Upgrades are always fun, & costly......

Looking to ge the new graph mounted and guess what, I should really take into account the width of the device AND KNOBS when measuring, CUZ it aint gonna fit.

Day of research, and found that Traxxtech solution. I can mount a 6 in track to the dash, to cover the holes that were drilled by prior owner.

I can then use an 8 or 10 inch Dual pivot to mount the new 12 inch graph & an additional support plate for larger electronis.

Also found that transducer should always be in the water for cooling. They actaully have a heat sink, similar to one that is installed onto a computer proccesor.

This allows for cooling of the elements within the transducer.

I got the new Transdcer cable ran, and sticking out of the dash, was all proud of myself, then realized, I might have to remove it to mount the new Rytek Marine mountng bracket to the transducer and then run the cables.

So any work on the boat it at a stand still until the bracket arrived this coming Thursday.

some photos

OE
Thanks for posting the Traxstech name. I am looking for a better mounting setup for my also new Lowrance TI2 12". I was also following you on your other thread and got the same one.

I am currently messing around with the TI2 on the kitchen table. I hooked it up to a battery with a 15-year old Lowrance Blue power cable. Made a screen calibration because the touch screen sensitivity sucked out of the box. Testing out the Navionics card on all the potential lakes I fish. And now trying to get the Humminbird waypoints brought over to the TI2.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Not sure I will be keeping my current boat so the current list is keep it clean and in working condition so it will sell when I find its replacement

·
Registered
357 Posts
Besides the usual motor and trailer maintenance the biggest items for me are:

Mount and install the new minn kota ulterra along with all the batteries and such.

Figure out where to mount my fish hawk display.

Add more led lighting next to the floor of the boat.

And replace the blown speakers and outdated stereo deck.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Few things I need to do to the Grady

Install new Fish Hawk T/D. I upgraded to an X4 from a 840 a few years ago. Never did work quite right. The old T/D is supposed to be the same between all the Fish Hawk units, 70khz.

I fiddled around with the T/D location and aiming finally decided to get a new T/D. Looked at the old one is says 125khz!! No wonder its not working right

Also upgrading my downriggers. I have ancient Walker electrics that have served me well on 3 boats. Found some new never used Digitroll IV's (these are the ones that supposedly dont have the issues of the other versions, hope thats the case!)

Need to put new brake pads on the trailer, and get a new roller fairlead for the electric trailer winch

Now the other boat I have is my 16.5ft side console. Needs stuff too but I would have to look it again to remember all what it needs (all minor stuff)

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Nothing on the bass boat this year.

The other boat is getting a new high volume fuel pump, flow matched injectors and a Brucato ACU so I can get a better fuel curve and lower the rev limiter

thumbnail (2).jpeg

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
John, that's nice. You get it due to marketing?

Just kidding, I got a buddy who ordered one, (Garmin) and keeps telling me that marketing line "Its a GAME CHANGER"

I just received a HDS Live-9 today and my 3N1 Transducer.

Waiting for my Traxstech items to arrive to mount the 12.

OE

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John,
I was jelous, of your arrival until FedEx stopped at my place, dropped of the TraxsTech parts needed.

Spent some time in front of the TV, not watching it, but assembling the mount, and support plate for larger graphs, and in general tinkering with it.

Then it got the best of me, and at 11pm, there I am in the garage, mocking it up, trying to get what would be best, in my mind.

I have some more tinkering to do with the graph on the gimbal mount but will look something close to this.

Need tos ee if I can cover the holes in the dash from the old graph removal, and get the screen tucked in towards the windshield a bit more.

Also need to see if I may need to shorten the gimbal arms somehow. that will be determined when I can get some heat in the garage, and tinker all day Saturday. :coolgleam

OE

20210114_030006773_iOS.jpg
20210114_030012232_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today was a play in the garage day.

My meat mixer fiasco is over and the new meat mixer arrived. Before working on the boat, 25# of Venison Summer sausage was mixed, then packed, and curing for 24 Hours, then goes into the smoker about noon tomorrow.

Thats my kind of food Pyramid.....

When done with that I tinkered in the boat, got the track in place, backing bracket provided by a Buddy of mine fit pefect, Just has to drill holes, and secure the track.

Then the frustrating part started, had to tinker with the mount.

I can make it work, but it not "Exactly" What im looking for, and one of the problems is measuring. You can look at somthing, and measure, but without the actual part, I am GUESTIMATING.

I doing so using an imaginary mount, and track, and only my graph, I thought an 8 inch mount would suffice.

Tinkering, and 4 hours later, I decided, I think I need the 10 Inch Tracxtech mount, vs the 8. I cant get the screen low enough, and far enough back to be "Comfortable"

As you can see in the picture, its pretty high, Id like it to come down to near the height of the dash curve, located over the speedometer.

I do like the increased available dash space, and I can place items underneath it, on the dash now. That mount has so many adjustments, its insane, and I just did not think a 10 would work, I may have been wrong in my "imaginary measuring" when mentally mocking it up.

Ill have to see what I can work out with Traxstech later next week.

So I tabled working on that, and had to pull the transducer cable out, and run it through the Rytek mounting bracket. Have the cable ran through the bracket as needed, and then ran back through the boat, AGAIN.

Neeed the 3n1 bracket to arrive, and a new 1 inch chunck of Star Board is on the way, to replace the tiny mounting boad that was on the boat.

Once I get that, & the Rytek Mount for the AI 3n1 transducer, I can get that part done as well.

I hooked up the transducers, (Prior to that I paused all sonar) because the AirMar TM185HW is supposed to have "XID Technology" and sure enough, it identified that transducer, selected it, and was easy peasy.

Tomorrow, I will probably spend some time, figiting again, see ifI cna find a locaiton that I like, until I can see about a 10 inch mount.

Either way progress, was made today.

OE
20210116_180447944_iOS.jpg
20210116_210552918_iOS.jpg
20210116_222616344_iOS.jpg
20210116_224005842_iOS.jpg

1 - 20 of 88 Posts