Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok , Here's the question. I run an 18' Starcraft jiggin on the river. It has a full windshield, and very high sides. The bow mount electric is a 70lb. thrust. It is more than sufficient to do the job in hi winds. The problem I have is the back of the boat. Naturally it swings back and forth too much. I have only been jiggin in this size of a boat for two months now and I am haveing alot more trouble than I have ever had.
My fishing buddy thinks that if there were a transom mounted electric motor, that backing into the winds would be easier because the boat would not swing from side to side as much. I think that this would be more difficult to operate. Or at the very least a waste of money...

I kinda think that I just need more practice controlling

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Trandsom mount would definately be easier with a windsheild. It acts as a sail and will always be downwind. Borrow somebody's trandsome mount electric to try it out. You'll see the difference right away. you wont even have to steer, just in and out of reverse. Or do what some guys do and you can spin the shaft 180 degrees to provide max. thrust.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Actually what you maybe doing is oversteering or compensating with the bow mount. So would have to say a little more practice may cure the problem.

You will get a quicker response from a bow mount than you will a transom mount.

Think of it like much like a bow thruster.... It is far easier to pivot or turn the boat with thrust coming from the bow than it is from the stern.

·
Registered
721 Posts
SabikiRig said:
Actually what you maybe doing is oversteering or compensating with the bow mount. So would have to say a little more practice may cure the problem.

You will get a quicker response from a bow mount than you will a transom mount.

Think of it like much like a bow thruster.... It is far easier to pivot or turn the boat with thrust coming from the bow than it is from the stern.
I'd agree with Sabiki on the oversteering, typically this happens when the wind is blowing cross current.

Also, make sure that you have the big motor pointed straight ahead. If it's turned to one side or another, it'll make the stern swing back and forth.

But just remember that you have to compensate for both wind and current so usually your electric is pointed somewhere in between both. make small (like 1") adjustments with the steering until you get it close then you'll just have to adjust the power to compensate for wind gusts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had similar problems turned out it usually oversteering like the others said. After awhile when chasing your line you will know when the wind dies for a second you'll be back and forth. Try short burst's on high power instead of constant thrust also. You won't be able to fish two rods with a transom mount.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats kinda what I figured as well.

Also was wondering if and how a wind sock would help

Thanx for the.02 cents

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have a minnkota auto-pilot,this thing is great,no matter how or where the wind try's to send your boat ,it stay's right on course,i love it,got it at gander for $550,bass pro wanted $750 for the same motor!(on sale,05),if your wondering how it stay's it's course,it has a compass in the lower unit,that record's heading,so strong wind's or wave's no problem,money well spent,every jigger should not be without one,waiting for temp's to go up and the wind's to lay down,be safe and god bless.:fish:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Your stern is not what is moving. You are over steering the bow and when the bow turns the boat sidewayst to the wind it is like a sail. Your buddy is correct in that it is easier to learn from the stern. Your boat and most boats will dive them selves right with the wind. like you are trolling. That is why you can just short burst from the stern, and go right down the river. But if you have more than three people in your boat you need to control it from the bow.......Trick is to anticipate your next move quickly. While learning expect your buddies to out fish you. ( Price you pay for being the captain.) You Master the boat control and you will catch more fish than you know what to do with out there. Good luck let me know if you have any more trouble. I will try to help. I know a guy who's boat is down at the moment that would be happy to go out and give you a lesson. He is an outstanding captain of the bowmount.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Homie said:
Your stern is not what is moving. You are over steering the bow and when the bow turns the boat sidewayst to the wind it is like a sail. Your buddy is correct in that it is easier to learn from the stern. Your boat and most boats will dive them selves right with the wind. like you are trolling. That is why you can just short burst from the stern, and go right down the river. But if you have more than three people in your boat you need to control it from the bow.......Trick is to anticipate your next move quickly. While learning expect your buddies to out fish you. ( Price you pay for being the captain.) You Master the boat control and you will catch more fish than you know what to do with out there. Good luck let me know if you have any more trouble. I will try to help. I know a guy who's boat is down at the moment that would be happy to go out and give you a lesson. He is an outstanding captain of the bowmount.
WORD!

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Jighead I have the same set up as you and you will get it with a little practice, I also have the auto pilot and that is the best peice of equipment on the boat.. My self I would rather jig with the bow mount then a transom mount trolling motor, when your practicing dont go out 30mph windy day start with a clam day and then work your way up and get use to the trolling motor and your boat..Cya Slick

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Bowmount for sure. If you stay on top of it and don't over-correct, the bow should always point directly into the wind and the stern fairly straight. It takes some practice, especially when it is really blowing hard. It can be tough to run the motor and fish if you are not used to it. However, after a while it is like breathing. You barely notice you are doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts