Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody got an example of a Bill of Sale I can look at? pm me and I will send you my email address, just want something half way professional looking. would really be appreciated. also, should I keep my boat trailer license plate when selling my boat? this is my first time selling a boat, any additional advice would be appreciated. thank you.

·
Administrator
27,234 Posts
Bill of sale can be just a handwritten on a blank piece of paper explaining the price and any conditions pertaining to that sale. The plate is no longer valid for the new owner of the trailer or you. Its good only for that trailer and the person it is registered to. Cannot be transfer to another trailer or new owner.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Might have a Bill of Sale template in Micrsoft WORD

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walleye Mike, should I take the plate off, or should I leave it on for the buyer to drive home with? or does it not matter?

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
They are legal to get it home without a plate from (either 14 or 30 days can't remember) from the selling date.

·
Premium Member
9,398 Posts
You can take it off and pitch it. You can not legally use it on another trailer. Don't let it go with the new buyer.
RIGHT!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let a license plate that is registered to you, go with ANYTHING that you sell !!!!!! You can end up with more problems than you could ever dream of!!!

Story #1............ Many years ago, 1970ish, I knew a guy that sold his car to some guy. Well he let the plate go with it, not thinking or knowing that the guy could have just drove it home with just his receipt and insurance card. Well..... about 2 weeks later, at his place of employement, he had a visit from the State Police. Not only did he get a visit, he got a ride "down town". Long story short, after finally convincing the State Police that he had sold that car, he found out that the guy that had purchased it was driving around shooting a pistol out of the car windows and scaring the hell out of people!

Story #2........... One Saturday this past summer, I went to the mail box to retreive mail. I was checking the mail on the way back and looked at one, addressed to me, that was from the City of Chicago. Well that had me going. So when I opened the letter, I found a PARKING TICKET inside, in my name. Now, other than flying into the airport to catch another flight, I've never been in the city of Chicago in my life. The letter had the plate number on it but I didn't recognize it. Well to shorten this story, I got to checking my plates on all my licensed trailers also. When I looked at my trailer plates, one plate was numbered x123 the other x125 and the number of the plate on the ticket was x124. Oh oh. After a lot of thinking and checking out dates on the registrations, I found out that I did have that plate number at one time! I had sold the trailer that it was registered to, over a year ago! Now comes the skurring around part. Called the purchaser and he had registered the trailer in less than a week. He sent me the scans of the registration. Neither he or I remembered rather we took the plate off but, we both assumed that I did.
I made a trip to the MI State Police Sunday and talked to them and told them the story and showed them all the paper work. They felt that everything that I had, proved that I had sold the trailer and told me to call Chicago on Monday. The officer at the post gave me his card and offered to help if I couldn't get it take care of.
So.... Monday I call the City of Chicago. The first thing that the lady wants is the ticket number. Then she comes back and says: "that will be $125.00" That's when I had to tell her, that I live in northern Michigan and have never been in Chicago. She started checking and guess what????? The dumb ask ticket writer, wrote it down as a MI plate when it should have been an IL plate!!!! Problem solved.
I highly suggest that you keep your plate and have something signed and dated by the new owner that they purchased it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts