Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 18.5 Lund Tyee and on Sunday I really strugled with setting the anchor in the winds. Even though I have the digging type alumin. anchor with 3 feet of chain in front and 100 feet of rope. All I ever managed was a ton of weeds on the anchor and it rarely would set. When it did set it would pull up with a big wave. This anchor is one of the smaller ones and my question is should I just get a bigger one, or am I doing somting wrong as I set the anchor? I never had this problem with my bigger boat 23 Century and the larger anchor. Any thoughts?

PS we were in 12-16 feet of water.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
I bought one of those Fortress aluminum anchors, used it once and it's been in the attic ever since. The best anchor I have ever used I puchased from a guy in Florida. He has a 12 lb and a 18 lb model. I have one of both. On calmer days I use the 12 but when it gets kicking, I have rarely ever broke loose with the 18 and a few feet of chain even in 30 mph winds. It has been a few years since I last contacted him, but here was his address and phone number at the time.
Kevin Lubold
3289 Raymond Street
Englewood Florida 34224
(941) 698-5744

BTW, I think I payed $80 for the 12 lb and something like $120 for the 18 lb. It was well worth the money!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Like you said there was a ton of weeds, that just the name of the game. This time of the year always has a ton of weeds and this makes it hard. One thing that I look for is an open spot to drop the anchor then let out a ton of line and power it back going with the wind.

·
Super Moderator
37,506 Posts
The windier it is the more important it is that you have plenty of line out. 4:1 is a good ratio for those contitions. You would have 14*4=56' of roope out for anchoring in 14 FOW.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
According to the US Power Squadron

Depending on the bottom, mud, sand, gravel or grass, a scope of 5 to 1 is about the minimum, 7 to 1 is normally sufficient and 10 to 1 may be required for severe weather.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information guys, I imagine I am just going to need to upgade to the 12 lb'er. For my size boat I imagine that this will be correct. Hotwired, how big is your boat that you sometimes have to use the bigger one? I am just trying to gauge which one I need for my boat.
Thanks again for the guidance.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
37,506 Posts
I can see a lot longer scope on the rode if you are anchoring to just sit(not fish) it's hard to stay on a spot with that much line out unless you set two anchors.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
IT, if that question was directed at me, I have a 24 ft. walkaround that probably goes near 4,000 lbs. I use the 12 lb only in low wind conditions. I still like the 18 lb model because if your whacking Perch and the wind kicks up a bit, the last thing I want to happen is to slip off my hot spot. The 12 lb. should hold you in most conditions but if your one of those/us diehards that will fish in almost any conditions, you won't regret buying the 18 lb (until you have to pull it 25 times trying to find the fish). :p

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I was out in that stuff on Sunday and it was brutal but I still enjoy it. I usually will put the big one out the front and then drop a mushroom type out the back when you have the big winds. At least it slows the swing down and a little weed ripping is always good for the perch fishing when it does swing. 18 lbs is a ton to be pulling up 15 times per trip if you dont land on the perch the fist time. Saturday I only made one move and we banged 30 keepers. Sunday was a mess as we couldnt get the anchor to set were I wanted. Ended up going way closer to shore so we could get the anchor to set. These fall days are way too valuble to not be able to fish because of 30 mph winds.
I should just get the big one and look at it as a good work out, or better yet make my guest pull it up.
I imagine my boat is less than 2000 lbs, it has the 115 merc outboard and 8hp kicker.

I would still like to here from you guys on which one you would buy if you were me.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
My solution was to buy one of each. Not the cheapest solution but now I have the best of both worlds and you shouldn't ever need to buy another anchor until you get to the 30 ft class boat. Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have a 17 ft Tracker with 75 -4 stroke, I have a 9 pound Danforth style that I use. Look up BOAT/US under anchors, #8 Fluke Anchor Kit, it is a 9 pound Danforth style anchor, 6' of chain, two shackles and anchor rope.
I have a 22 ft Cresliner up north that weighs about 3500 lbs., on this one I have the same anchor kit in # 13 size, same idea, anchor weighs 14 pounds. I have never had a problem with them not holding. The #13 is rated for 25 to 30 ft boat.
Model # 95095 and 95100.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check out the Richter anchors (got mine at Cabela's). 18 pounder for $50, or 25 pounder for $60. I experienced the same frustration as you, with my 17' aluminum walk through, and decided to buy the 25 pounder. Yes, it's overkill, but no more dragging anchors!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The Danforth or Fortress anchors need to be heavy enough to get thru the weeds. The light ones are great, if they make contact with firm ground. These are not good, if the weeds are thick. Just not heavy enough to make it to the ground. I use a light Danforth in sand or mud (chain is manditory). Richter, mushroom, or the river type are fine anchors, but be sure it is heavy enough. My boat is a bit lighter than yours. I have an 18 pound river type. Works well in the weeds. I use chain on that one also. I would like to get the Richter. It might be the best out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts