Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
I don’t fish the Boardman that much but I do fish some other rivers in the area. With that being said, I don’t know what to make of this year. Normally, I catch Steelhead through April. However, this year, I have not done very well in April. I was catching more fish in January and February. I think if we get a decent rain then there should still be fish to come. Just my thoughts. Probably doesn’t help much.

· Registered
822 Posts
With no steelhead plants in the bays for the last 4 years at least,due to a “study” by the DNR, there’s not much, if any run in the boardman anymore. Feel free to call your local Dnr/f&w rep & thank them for that.
John,
See the attachment. I don't manage the Boardman, but just want to make sure the facts are present.

· Premium Member
5,493 Posts
John,
See the attachment. I don't manage the Boardman, but just want to make sure the facts are present. View attachment 761574
Thank you for that Mark. I was told by your leader last May, that he wouldn’t plant steel head back in the bays until the end of a four year steelhead study that I could not find any information out. Maybe I misinterpreted it and it was just Eastbay I can’t keep these things straight anymore

· Registered
822 Posts
Thank you for that Mark. I was told by your leader last May, that he wouldn’t plant steel head back in the bays until the end of a four year steelhead study that I could not find any information out. Maybe I misinterpreted it and it was just Eastbay I can’t keep these things straight anymore
Here are the numbers for Elk Rapids as well.

· Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Here are the numbers for Elk Rapids as well. View attachment 761580
Very interesting! Why do you think Jay would tell me last May when I asked him for some more steelhead Plants in the bay, that you folks were halfway thru a 4 year study on the steelhead natural reproduction, therefore no steelhead would be planted. Ive been telling that story to people all year, now it’s not true.

· Registered
822 Posts
There must have been some misunderstanding. The study he's referring to is that we're clipping adipose fins and coded wire tagging all the steelhead we're stocking in Lake Michigan. Stocking numbers haven't changed appreciably in the bays in years, as far as I'm aware.

· Premium Member
5,493 Posts
There must have been some misunderstanding. The study he's referring to is that we're clipping adipose fins and coded wire tagging all the steelhead we're stocking in Lake Michigan. Stocking numbers haven't changed appreciably in the bays in years, as far as I'm aware.
Well. Thank you for clearing that up. I guess I cost myself 2 springs worth of. Steelhead fishing.

· Premium Member
5,493 Posts
FYI
I reviewed my conversation with Jay from last January & in fact it was my mistake. He did state the reason for no extra steelhead as being in the middle of a mass marking study, not for the reasons I stated. My apologies to Jay & crew. I will now go remove all the pins from your voodoo doll. Lol

· Registered
12,060 Posts
I know my son and I would catch them and let them go above the dam. I would also give them away to young kids and other fisherman who did not catch anything. I got kick out of giving a kid one and watch his eyes get big. They would always take off so they could show their mom or dad.

· Registered
12,060 Posts
I know my son and I would catch them and let them go above the dam. I would also give them away to young kids and other fisherman who did not catch anything. I got kick out of giving a kid one and watch his eyes get big. They would always take off so they could show their mom or dad.

· Registered
822 Posts
Just give it some time. The upper river is LOADED with smolts. In fact that is about all you catch there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
That's just flat out not true. I participated in several shocking surveys of the Boardman last summer, and fished it myself in several locations. Yes juvenile rainbows were present in some spots, but were far outnumbered by browns and brookies, especially in the shocking surveys.

· Registered
9,055 Posts
That's just flat out not true. I participated in several shocking surveys of the Boardman last summer, and fished it myself in several locations. Yes juvenile rainbows were present in some spots, but were far outnumbered by browns and brookies, especially in the shocking surveys.
Mark, I’m telling you first hand experience. I live with min walking distance of the river and fish it 3-4 night a week all season long. I’m not embellishing at all. My personal experience was 8 out of 10 fish caught were smolts. I’ve reported this to Heather. I invite you to join me sometime and you can see this first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.