Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out for a couple hours last night. As I was heading back to the dock, I was stopped by a Sheriff's patrol. I didn't care. I didn't have anything to hide. It was after 7:30 pm and he said he stopped me for going to fast. I wasn't doing much over an idle and I wasn't on plane. I gave it just enough throttle to get the nose down to where I could see. He admitted I wasn't speeding but he called it borderline. He asked where my throwable cushion was. I showed him some life jackets. That's not acceptable and he gave me a warning for it. I was alone in the boat. Who was I going to throw it to? Who was going to throw it to me? :rolleyes: But it was all good. Two young guys, very polite and courteous and I didn't mind.

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
You may have needed to throw it to one of them. Never know!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice to know they were out. Wish they had more ability to be on more lakes. Too may times on our cottage's lake have boats run a full speed outside of hours (11:00am-7:30pm). A sign at the public launch clearly states this but unfortunately most noncompliers are owners on the lake and believe it's their lake. Too bad......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not to be an ass, but I'm pretty sure the regulations say a boat over 16' has to have a flotation for each person on board PLUS one throwable device. A DNR officer told me (when I was told my extra seat cushion was good enough) you needed it because larger boats can and should be ready to help others in need.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nice to know they were out. Wish they had more ability to be on more lakes. Too may times on our cottage's lake have boats run a full speed outside of hours (11:00am-7:30pm). A sign at the public launch clearly states this but unfortunately most noncompliers are owners on the lake and believe it's their lake. Too bad......

I cant remember the time that I didnt see a Sheriff on the Lake here in Kalamazoo. Heck, they are even out on weekdays. They ride Jetskis a lot around here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to be an ass, but I'm pretty sure the regulations say a boat over 16' has to have a flotation for each person on board PLUS one throwable device. A DNR officer told me (when I was told my extra seat cushion was good enough) you needed it because larger boats can and should be ready to help others in need.
You're probably right, but why can't you use a life vest as a throwable? I have 4 of them in the boat. Oh well, I bought one yesterday, $12.00 at Dicks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey everyone what are the rules about speed? I know some lakes say it at the boat launches. And some don't so what is the rules if its not posted?
Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
156 Posts
for the record, I can personally tell you that the Marine sheriffs sometimes find themselves with nothing to do, well, a lot of times.

On the water all day every day can get old specially with nothing to do, so they tend to find things to do.

Most all of them are really nice, they are not out there looking to ruin your day, but they have job to do, so keep your ducks in a row and youll be fine. (they dont enforce fishing laws)

if you find yourself pulled over try to think of questions your not sure of the answers to, they would love to explain the laws, all of them. Im sure youll be surprised as to what you dont know about boating.

Make sure to wave hi, Im sure jus like you and I, they would like that.

Safe boating.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You're probably right, but why can't you use a life vest as a throwable? I have 4 of them in the boat. Oh well, I bought one yesterday, $12.00 at Dicks.

Just guessing here, but 2 things come to mind. First, it is easier to throw a throwable further and more accurately than a lifejacket that the flaps can catch air. Second, in a panic, clutching a solid square item again is easier than a thinner, flimsier lifejacket. I might be wrong, but just a thought.

·
Premium Member
29,821 Posts
I'm not sure if a throwable is required on inland lakes, only great lakes and connecting waterways. Not sure where you were? Check the boating laws online, its different for the coast guard requirements than inland lakes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure if a throwable is required on inland lakes, only great lakes and connecting waterways. Not sure where you were? Check the boating laws online, its different for the coast guard requirements than inland lakes.
That's what I thought too. I was on Wolf lake in Muskegon. I want to be legal and I didn't mind them checking me out. They were cool. If they were jerks, then I would be talking a whole different story.:D
Bob

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got stopped on Lake Mecosta last weekend and they told me I had to have a throwable. I have a house on the lake and had been stopped several times out there and this was the first time they mentioned the throwable. Maybe it is a new law?

·
Premium Member
29,821 Posts
I suggest a few people take a boaters safety class.

If not please read through the following. Might just learn something .

This law has not changed in years.

Your question is answered on pg 33 ;)

http://www.boat-ed.com/michigan/handbook/book.html?page=1
Thanks for posting:) I guess the question at hand is what size boat did you have then???? Also it doesn't state it, but the coast guards requirements on great lakes, may be stricter than the inland. They don't govern inland, county sherriff depts. do, and therefore the state law would govern.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
I suggest a few people take a boaters safety class.

If not please read through the following. Might just learn something .

This law has not changed in years.

Your question is answered on pg 33 ;)

http://www.boat-ed.com/michigan/handbook/book.html?page=1
What would be considered "readily accessible"? I keep my throwables in a closed side compartment on each side of the main deck. An arms reach and twist of a latch for anyone on the main deck. Legal?

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
Do guests onboard know where they are? Much is left to the officer.

·
Registered
552 Posts
you have to have a throwable on all boats, even when you go canoeing. Each person in some instances and other times only 1 on board. They don't just give you those throwables when you rent a canoe to comfort your butt, it's the law. It's a matter of which type of life jacket you need to have available on board for different situtations and boat sizes

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 20 of 36 Posts