Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what some of the differences you guys have noticed in the two. like depth,location,where in water colom, lures,bait..etc. some things that i notice with redears i have to really shake my bait a constant depth vertical jig(demon) usualy within 1-2 feet off bottom dont remember catching 1 over 12fow or suspended. just wonderen what others notice. maybe my theorys are a bunch of bologna. later..........john

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Most of the redears I have caught are in the upper water columns. Where as Bluegils are in the bottom 3 feet. But I catch them both at different levels at different times. The redears go back most of the time. A little grainier then a reg Gill.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I have read that redears occupy the lower part of the water column feeding on stuff down on the lake's bottom. They are called "shellcrackers" for that reason...Pumpkinseeds and bluegills will often suspend, depending on the oxygen level and food availability in said water column...

As for one step further, crappies are almost always suspended, just below where the baitfish are...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here's my theories (observations). Shellcrackers aren't really native here, they're from farther south. They still feed some in cold water, but aren't as active in winter as Bluegills. The darn things like to come up to your lures and stare for a bit then swim off. There's another trait I've noticed in them I try to take advantage of when they start doing that. They like a bait slowly sinking to bottom. I always have a bobber rod rigged up so the lure is just a little too heavy for it and sinks very slow. Or I do the same with my jigging rod.

Another thing I've noticed is they like very small lures in natural colors at times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts